EXCLUSIVE: BA Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Air Miles loyalty programme changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by uggboy, Aug 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXCLUSIVE: BA Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Air Miles loyalty programme changes;)

British Airways has announced significant changes to its loyalty programme, BA Executive Club. Starting from November 16, Airmiles, Iberia Plus and the BA Exec Executive Club members will earn Avios points.

Speaking exclusively to Business Traveller, Andrew Swaffield, Managing Director of the Mileage Company which runs the Airmiles programme and manages the BA Executive Club and Iberia Plus programmes said that the intention of the new programme was to “create a new shared global reward currency to provide benefits for all three members.”

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/news/exclusive-ba-exec-club,-iberia-plus-and-air-mil

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Could be interesting.. Thanks for sharing

uggboy likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they're setting a fixed rate on taxes for regional Europe awards on IB or BA metal if you've earned any points in the past year. That's easy to see as a positive, at least at the level they're set.

Wasn't this always the case? Premium Economy = 1.5x, Biz = 2x and First = 3x, right??

It also looks like they're extending the expiry date of points in the program from 24 months to 36 months.

uggboy likes this.
  4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the case for BA Executive Club miles, but not for AirMiles - the Frequent Buyer program that the IAG Group owns but which was previously unlrelated in any way to BAEC. They will still be separate schemes, but will share a common currency.
    It is probably more correct to call the 36 month period an inactivity-watch window. BA points/miles/avios/whatever don't ever expire provided there is some earn or burn activity in your account at least once every three years.

There is a BA thread in the BA forum on these changes also.

uggboy likes this.
  5. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this going to change the one partner award chart for BA?????:eek:

Sean, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  6. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my fear - and I think the most likely scenario. Hopefully, they give us some notice.

uggboy likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From Lucky's OneMileAtATime blog:

And it was just confirmed by BA Executive Club on FlyerTalk:

Sorry if it wasn’t clear in my earlier post, partner rewards will be priced the same as BA. So – a single pricing table for itineraries which are:BA onlyBA +1 partner or partner only
    For multi-partner itineraries these will be priced using the current oneworld multi carrier redemption. The pricing will be based largely on a distance banded model for all reward sectors. We are not purposfully witholding anything or trying to hide anything – I will be as informative as I can and try to keep up with your questions. Please do feel free to prompt me if you feel I am missing something important that needs a detailed or urgent answer.

uggboy likes this.
  8. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Massive, Colossal, Indescribable devaluation. The partner award chart was by far and away the best use of BA Miles.

Going to burn up the rest of my BA miles and be done with them.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed and now the fear of a massive, full-in partner award booking frenzy in the next 60 days making it difficult to find some award seats on a usually great award seat availability airline! Game on. :)

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  10. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll start the bonfire...

adl73x likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Losing the Single Partner chart will hurt, particularly for folks in North America. The other changes, particularly for Europeans, are mostly positive. If I was BA I'm not sure I'd have done it any different. I have to assume they're making a lot more money - and up against much stronger competition - with their points at home rather than over here.

Or maybe they're just bitter some 235 year later over that whole Revolutionary War thing and this is payback.

PanAm, LETTERBOY and adl73x like this.