Exciting news on new hotel openings!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hyatt has exciting news! Announced August 31, 2011 Hyatt and its wholly owned subsidiaries acquired a portfolio of assets from LodgeWorks, L.P. and its private equity partners.

The hotels involved in the transaction are currently branded under the Hotel Sierra® (17), AVIA® Hotels (4), Hyatt Place®(1) and Hyatt Summerfield Suites® (2) brands. This acquisition will enable the company to introduce Hyatt-branded hotels in several markets where it currently is not represented at all and to expand our extended stay representation significantly.

Sincerely,

Nick B.

2. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always glad to hear when Hyatt is expanding. I think locations are the #1 drawback to the current program.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Hotel Sierra has joined the Hyatt family of brands and is pleased to welcome travelers to enjoy the exclusive benefits and rewards of the Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program and access to the many services of Hyatt’s portfolio of 456 hotels worldwide."

Does that mean Hotel Sierra will be a new "brand" within the Hyatt family, or will these properties transition to some existing brand?

uggboy likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The press release in this earlier thread answers my question:

"Following the transaction, 16 Hotel Sierra hotels will be branded as Hyatt Summerfield Suites, increasing the number of hotels in that portfolio from 38 to 54. Five properties, including the AVIA Hotels, are expected to be converted to full service Hyatt brands. The brand affiliations of Hyatt Summerfield Suites and Hyatt Place properties in the LodgeWorks portfolio will remain unchanged."

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit surprised that the Sierra properties are being labeled as extended stay hotels. I expect this catagory, especially the nicer ones, to have full sized refrigerators, dishwashers, and at least a cooktop with two burners if not a full range in larger units plus microwave and kitchen sink of course. These are described as a wet bar with a small refrigerator and microwave. They sound like some "deluxe" rooms I've seem recently in Sheratons with a granite-topped wet bar along one wall having a small sink, small refrigerator under the counter (not the mini dorm-sized ones), and smallish but fully powered microwave. However, the Sheraton rooms (not suites, some of which are similarly equipped and also at Westins) don't supply any cooking equipment or dishes and silverware, which the Sierra units might.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]Sample photo for the Kitchen for Hotel Sierra Branchburg NJ - seems to have the full-sized refrig, sink, a compact dishwasher, and a two burner range.
    (source http://hotelsierrabranchburg.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/gallery/photos.jsp?icamp=propPhotoGallery) If this turns out to be standard for Sierra under Hyatt, it is not bad at all. :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just took the words in the description from one of the Sierra properties using the link in the post. I looked at Green Bay, WI, where the room descriptions for every type I looked at had the words "mini-fridge and microwave" with no mention of a cooktop or dishwasher. It's not good if the kitchens vary enormously by property.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree...but if they are re-branded as SS as the press release indicates...they should be expected to have the typical full fridge, mini-range (2 burners) and a compact dishwasher with sink that SS units around here (Northeast) have. Of course, always need to read the fine print :)

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're already being sold on hyatt.com as Sierra properties and the website gives the impression that these are pretty elegant, although the rates look good (and lower than for AVIA hotels, at least for a few properties and dates I checked quickly. It looks like making them into typical Hyatt SS units would entail a downgrade, assuming that there's even space for a full kitchen, which could require expensive plumbing and electrical modifications. OTOH, if Hyatt offers too many brands, it could become confusing. These look very appealing, I just question whether the current version should be called extended stay. (I also don't know whether they offer the standard weekday food reception in the early evening.)

uggboy likes this.
  10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hotel Sierra in Richmond is quite nice. From what I recall when I stayed there, it did have a full (and nice) kitchen area. Beyond the kitchen though, the rooms and the property overall are very nice. Until the new Hilton opened just down the road (literally less than a mile) and took away alot of the business travelers, the Hotel Sierra was a very popular option for business travelers in that part of Richmond.

I think this is a great addition for Hyatt. I was happy to see this (especially as a new Hyatt Diamond).

Kaanapali and uggboy like this.
  11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any new cities and ways to earn stays/points is welcomed by me. I need lots more Hyatt stays this year, if I want to requal.

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats for being a new Hyatt Diamond!:)

13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping an addition near LAX. C'mon Hyatt!

14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terrific additions :), but still this gaping hole.:(

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard a rumor that the building under construction between Sukhumvit 11 & 13 in Bangkok will be a Hyatt Regency Bangkok ... this will make 3 Hyatt properties within one mile radius! :) Any input from Hyatt Reps on this?
    [​IMG]

TRAVELSIG and cennas like this.
  16. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news if this is true! :)

Kalboz likes this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially great if it is an Andaz.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOVE Bangkok. LOVE the GH Erawan. The more Hyatts in Bangkokmthe better as far as I am concerned. More chance to mattress run between properties and have fun in BKK

Kalboz likes this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The above photo was taken back last December ...here is another photo with the recent developments on the ground!
    [​IMG]

cennas likes this.
  20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since there seems to be no confirmation forthcoming from our own Hyatt Reps here, I will check with the Staff at the Erawan when I'm there next week. I wonder if they know/can divulge anything about this ;)

21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    More Andaz are coming through in various developing stages with expected opening dates as follows:

. Andaz Napa September 7th, 2012
    . Andaz Savannah in October, 2012
    . Andaz Amsterdam in November, 2012
    . Andaz Maui to look forward to in 2013
    · Andaz Sanya Sunny Bay, China: in 2014
    . Andaz Guragon, India in 2014
    · Andaz Delhi, in 2014
    · Andaz Papagayo, Costa Rica, in 2014 (initially this was to open in 2013)
    . Andaz Mayakoba, to open in 2015, which is situated along one mile of beach coastline in Mexico’s Riviera Maya.
    · Andaz Jaiphur, in 2016

TRAVELSIG and From NYC like this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news however I think it is Jaipur ;)

Kalboz likes this.