Exchanging Hhonors to Virgin Airmiles

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by loobyblue, Jul 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. loobyblue

loobyblue New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, has anyone had any experience in exchanging Hilton points to Virgin miles?
    I know it advises up to 30 days for completion but just wondered if it happens any quicker? Thanks :)

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have experience because it's done at a horrible exchange rate that loses a lot of the value of your HH points. ;)

(And that's saying something because HH points have been consistently devalued for their primary use, hotel rooms... but converting them is considerably worse value, unless you have a ridiculous number you'd never be able to spend anyway.)

Also: you know there are three Virgin airlines (Virgin America, Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic), all of which are considerably different programs, right? To which program are you referring?

3. loobyblue

loobyblue New Member

Status Points:
    I do have ridiculous amounts of points that didn't cost me a penny...( Long story but thanks ex husband :D ) so I just wanna get my flight ASAP lol
    I was looking at Virgin Atlantic.

iolaire likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You realize unless you are very, very careful, you could pay substantial fuel surcharges in cash that could almost equal the cost of a regular plane ticket if you redeem Virgin Atlantic miles, right? So this may actually be a spectacularly inefficient way to redeem HHonors- you will lose much of the value of the points AND possibly pay 80% of what the cost of a cash ticket would be.

(Really, if you're not careful, this is a really bad idea. Paying $800+ miles that were converted from a lot of Hilton HHonors for a $1000 coach ticket is throwing a lot of value away, even if you think this is a "free" ticket. Someday, you may want a hotel room somewhere that you could have gotten for free from Hilton...)

Where is it you would like to fly to? There may be better options that won't cost you as much cash out of pocket (or in fact, almost none). This site has a lot of good information on getting the most out of your points and miles. You may want to ask around and read before doing something that's irrevocable.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. loobyblue

loobyblue New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, thanks for advice. I've actually used some points to book a reward stay now as I got a good late deal on a flight :)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good for you. Using the points for Hilton properties is really their highest, best use.

7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently (2 months ago?) did the exchange from Virgin to Hilton when there was a transfer bonus of 30% which brought the exchange rate back to the old 1:2 instead of the current 1:1.5. I used them to book 5 nights at the Conrad Koh Samui. I also got 5 nights for the cost of 4 (320K Hilton points), so I got tremendous value out of those Virgin Miles.

In answer to your question, I think it took about two weeks, but I'm not positive. It definitely was not 4 weeks.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OP is asking about transferring Hilton->Virgin, not the other way around.

9. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dyslexia. Lol. I only read the first post and read it backwards.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people on this site would very much like to trade miles for points as well...... since the exchange values are so low, only person to person is usually feasible.