Exceptional customer service

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gargoyle, Jun 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Every once in a while we all encounter truly exceptional customer service. Sometimes from an airline or a hotel, sometimes in a completely different sector. These cases should serve as examples to all companies, so I hope you'll share your experiences here.

We can hope airline or hotel representatives may read this and get ideas, or perhaps milepointers can use our shared experience to influence the companies they work for. Or maybe these will simply make us feel good.

I've been driving around with a nail in my tire; the leak was very slow (less than 5 lbs a week) so I put it off, but finally this week I decided to attend to it. I first tried to plug it myself with a patching kit, but the hole was too tight for the needle and plug. At that point I figured it needed to be professionally fixed, and fixed right away, so I hammered the nail back in the hole and drove to the closest tire place, Discount Tire, hoping the nail would hold the air. I asked the price to plug it, and was told they would remove the tire, patch it from the inside, balance it, and check the other tires, at no charge. (I had never been there before and hadn't purchased my tires from them). They first checked my tread depth, and told me the tires still had lots of life on them (they were the opposite of hard sell, no attempt at all to sell me anything), pointed out the cooler with water bottles in the waiting room (it was over 95 degrees F that day), and mentioned that they had free wifi. (they also had coffee and a few snacks)

After a while a mechanic came out to let me know they were almost done and would have my truck ready in a few minutes; he then brought it around, handed me an invoice (marked "no charge", listing all they had done), told me what he had done and that the work was under warrantee.

This cost them almost nothing- the employees are on salary, so they are being paid anyway; the water bottle, and tire plug are minimal; still, everywhere else I've had this done charged between $5 and $50, without water or wifi. :) Very smart move on their part, because when I do need tires in a year or two, they'll be the first ones I think of.

Please share your "above and beyond" experiences here too.

MrsBobSgt, catgirl, Traveller and 3 others like this.
  2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great story, Gargoyle.

Traveller and bobsgt like this.
  3. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have had excellent experiences with Discount Tire/America's Tire (same company). They have provided me with a level of customer service that far exceeded my expectations for a tire dealer. :)

MrsBobSgt and Gargoyle like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The little rubbery bridge of my wife's sunglasses broke recently. Since I was at the mall anyway, I took'em to Lenscrafters and asked if they had a replacement part. They didn't have the exact part, but thought another one might fit and spent the next five minutes looking for the best match and then another few minutes installing it. When it came to paying for the repair, they said it was free. First time I had been to that store (or any other Lenscrafters, for that matter... don't wear glasses yet). And my wife hadn't bought the glasses there either. Their kind service ensured that my next pair of sun glasses will likely come from their store and if/when I need real glasses, they'll be on my list as well.

MrsBobSgt, catgirl and Gargoyle like this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have lots of these stories...:)

My tire pressure light in my car came on recently. I had no idea what it was, so I drove to the dealer and they checked it out, found a nail in my tire, fixed it, washed my car and didn't charge me. They even did a Starbucks run and brought me back something. :)

I also recently got an eye exam because I needed to order contacts. I asked Pearl Vision how much boxes of contacts were, since I didn't want to waste my insurance on contacts when I need to buy new glasses at some point (the benefit is either glasses or contacts). The lady who was checking me out told me that PV was too expensive, and gave me 2 weeks of contacts and told me to order online or go to Costco to save money. I wear dailies when I do wear them, so that was awesome. 6 months of contacts can last me a year.

MrsBobSgt and Gargoyle like this.