"Excellent"; "Commendable" rankings gone?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Erndog, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Erndog
    Original Member

Erndog Silver Member

Did anyone notice that the "ranking" seems to be gone when making a reservation? Either it was gone before and I didn't notice or it's removal is part of the "re-launch".

I am speaking of the "Excellent", "Commendable", etc. rankings that used to appear on the reservation list. This was a helpful reference when trying to decide on numerous properties located within a reasonable distance from each other.

As a road warrior sometimes staying in small towns where there are no SPG's, Hyatt's, or even Marriott Courtyards, I've come to really like the newer Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn hotels. In fact, I'm staying in one tonight, near Seabrook, TX, and according to the front desk person, it's been open about 8 months - really nice, very modern, great lobby - could easily be another upscale brand if I was blindfolded and put in my room or lobby.

Anyway - if I were an operator of a sub-standard property, I guess this ranking thing would be something I'd complain about - I wouldn't want a better run property 5-7 miles away 'taking' my business. On the other hand, it seems that the ranking was something the decent properties valued - one HIX in Amarillo (Wolfin location) comes to mind. High ranking, EXCELLENT customer service, very, very clean property - - they EARNED the ranking and were rewarded with many repeat visitors.

I don't why IHG changed this - I don't find the trip advisor reviews particularly helpful - and when I am in a new town looking for a hotel in an out of the way place, that system always served me well.

Am I wrong, but is IHG misguided in removing this important feature? Promoting a race to the bottom, perhaps?
    Tim O'Brien likes this.
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Most likely is due to the new look and upgrading of HI's. They are wanting customer to think all their hotels are essentially the same.

Holiday Inn offers business and family-friendly hotel accommodations and services at an excellent value. The refresh of our hotels globally initiated significant changes, both inside and out. You will find our hotel rooms stylishly redesigned with premium bedding and a choice of pillows for the best possible sleep experience, plus larger shower spaces with great water pressure and quality toiletries to help you start your day off right. When you choose Holiday Inn, you'll find hotel accommodations that are as close to your own home as possible, because we believe you are at your best when you can truly be yourself.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

I aways found looking at sites like Tripadvisor etc... gave better information over the PC rankings.