Exactly what is supposed to happen on Customer Day 1

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunseeker, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read May 18 or perhaps June 15 will be the day. Will the web sites be combined? Phone CS? Counters at the airport? What exactly will be combined?

Rlpro and Chimpy like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there will be some changes we'll like. :rolleyes:

My guess is some low-level chaos, as customers get redirected to one site or the other (my guess is the CO site at ua.com, which will confuse everyone) and staff from one carrier blame the other for problems. I actually think UA is doing a good job so far at implementing these changes gradually, such as moving the CO check-in to UA six months in advance and changing all the signage long before. There will still be glitches, to be sure, but they are smart to be handling issues one at a time rather than all at once.

Freddie Listo and viguera like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are not launching a single website this week. Nor are phone services or airport operations being combined right now. Actually, the airport one will take quite some time to happen in many locations (e.g. BOS, SEA) just based on needing gate space and shuffling things around.

The check-in kiosks with both systems accessible are already deployed to a limited extent and it wouldn't surprise me to see more rolling site-by-site rather than all at once.

I've heard that many policies, including SDC/standby, will start to become uniform.

4. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not much anticipating customer day one as I think this will be more an internal system conversion than an customer facing change. I'm more curious to see what happens on "joint operating certificate" day one when every flight in the system has only one UA/CO number the crews are allocated to flights across the entire system. Anyone have any idea when that will happen?

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noticed a couple kiosks in EWR say "United" now, but not all of them.

That kiosk has blank thermal stock like the UA kind. Fonts have changed on the kiosk BPs as well.

Noticed the new kiosk BP format today in EWR

EWR764 likes this.
  6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually that is the whole point of Customer Day One. The idea is that things that are customer facing should be seamless: reservation systems talking to each other; check-in kiosks to handle all customers; FF upgrade, credit and redemption; websites being handle both products/reservations, etc.

Granted some of these changes have already taken place, but apparently the official CD1 is supposed to have much fanfare associated with it. So we'll see...

I've heard in the Fall timeframe.

7. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it hasn't happened on US/HP yet, and it's been 5 1/2 years. :rolleyes:

jw3711 and drdubs like this.
  8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw the same thing. My BP had the familiar CO gold stripes but a bolder, larger font printed on the thermal stock. Similar to the 'generic' BPs from common-use kiosks at LAS, for example.

9. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of Friday UA boarding passes still used the tulip. Whatever the hell "Customer Day One" is supposed to mean, I think we're a long way off.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have a single operating certificate but split unions so east/west crews are still working only east/west flights. But they all fly as "Cactus NNN" when operating.

11. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the stations are printing the new boarding passes.

12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friday pm the Elite Access kiosks in EWR Terminal C were all shut-down and being converted. The ohhhhhhhhhhhh so friendly agents weren't helping passengers they were just yelling at them.

13. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another photo op with a smiling CEO shaking the hand with two happy employees...one with a tulip on their uniform and another with a globe? Say Cheese. :)

Maybe....if we're lucky... the footage will make its way into a future safety video ;)

Freddie Listo likes this.
  14. i had to check in at CO in Toronto a few weeks ago, and UA flight # and plane was actually going to be CO. I got yelled at by the check in agent that she worked for CO for 20 years and she knows whats shes doing and told me to go to UA! YIKES... off i went...
    Arrived at UA and they all say hello they know me, and said no the flight is a CO flight check in let one of take you over and help check you in... they tried on the web check in and could not so they got the CO supervisor out to help, she eventually got me checked in. I felt like going back to the first CO agent and telling her she might have worked with Co for 20 years but her days are numbered. ;)
    Actually that agent came back to me in the lounge and personally apologized, so I am excited CO staff will be joining UA's in Toronto, in hindsight it looks like they will be great addition.

15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Continental facebook page a few hours ago:

16. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also on United's Twitter:

[​IMG]

Though not sure why they need a new Twitter handle, since it is already called @UnitedAirlines.

jw3711 likes this.
  17. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    A month+ later after the decision to have a new Twitter handle (@united) and drop the other two (@unitedairlines, @continental), there are only about 15,000 followers. Only 335,000 more followers left to recapture.

And while at first they said that they would no longer be tweeting through the "legacy" handles, they are now tweeting through all three handles.

Great execution on the social media front of the merger :rolleyes:

18. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe some TWARES would bring the masses back?

sunseeker likes this.
  19. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got tired of getting everything twice through SMS. Just yesterday dropped the @unitedairlines follow. They were really getting annoying.