EWR / TLV - scoring a seat in bf

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by spaced2, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi team. I'm looking at a one-way BF redemption from TLV to EWR in september. The cabin on both direct flights from TLV back look pretty open at the moment but there is no saver award inventory available. Caveat this question with: I understand that UA will wait to release seats until it's revenue management system has discounted the probability of them getting sold, but: has anyone had experience stalking this inventory? if so, when did you see it come available?

I'm trying to construct a JFK/EWR --> TLV -->JFK/EWR, potentially with a stopover on one end aroudn 8/28-9/9 but the options in business are a bit limited. Currently figuring out my pain threshold for connection times and number of legs ...

2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    my guess is that they want to leave those seats for last min people = since Sept/Oct are taken up with by the Holidays Im sure they know that they should be able to sell alot of the seats as folks start later in the summer making up their work loads, since they will want to be home for the holidays. Which will mean heading back to TLV so CO probably feels there will be alot of early TLV-EWR with the returns around 9/14. Of cause compounding that will be those who live in NY wanting to be in Israel for the Holidays as well

I sa 9/4 TLV-ZRH & ZRH-EWR LX & UA available in Biz as Saver

3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its very hard to get saver availability on this route. Do NOT count on it opening although you can book a stopover flight with another carrier and waitlist and if it opens you are good to go.

druiddation likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is peak season for travel to Israel. You might consider connecting in Europe...or just use a double-miles award and be done with it. Still a good CPM valuation.

5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep looking..

Just a few weeks ago, suprised to see so much inventory, I booked 5 saver awards (3 BF, 2 whY) on the same afternoon EWR-TLV nonstop in the last week of August.

ETA: fwiw, just checked & I found the tix on April 25

6. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the feedback. Don't mind connecting, though right now saver award availability is restricted on the return. I'Il likely end up with a stopover, but i'm still considering how to position. I'd like to come back on 9/9 or 9/10 and right now the only "reasonable" thing seems to be LHR-IAD-LGA in UA F.

7. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I found a solution....change the dates of my flights and go NYC->HKG->SYD, SYD->BKK->FRA->TLV, TLV->IST->EWR...

i maaaaay be nuts.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll likely have to book that as two one-ways, otherwise it'll price as an RTW instead of as a roundtrip. AFAIK, you can't cross both oceans without it being considered a RTW.

9. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i mean, yes that's what i did, though NYC-HKG-SYD is on CX and QF so i used AA miles