EWR-PHX-HNL on US F

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by viguera, Jan 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh my goodness... I'm sitting in the hotel now thinking about this trip and the only thing that comes to mind is that US needs to upgrade this route BADLY.

We originally booked next week out of JFK but changed our trip to take advantage of the holiday tomorrow plus the fact that the Pro Bowl is next week -- which might have made things more crowded or more expensive.

Either way, the EWR to PHX leg was actually "decent" -- certainly better than sitting in the back. The A320 is an OK plane but the domestic setup will definitely have you wishing you were going on a shorter trip.

Kristi was the FA in F and she was absolutely fabulous. Addressed every single passenger by name and seemed to remember it, and although she wasn't always there it seemed she was just trying not to be too intrusive.

By comparison, US has an old dog 752 running from PHX to HNL that looks like it's 30 years old and feels even older.

I kid you not, if this was a hotel room this is the type you walk out of and go back to the front desk to complain about.

Pictures will be up soon.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to pictures. I sounds like my CPH-BKK flight last week. And that Airbus was only 10 years old. How come some airlines are so good at keeping their aircrafts seem new and some make them look antique right away. Is it initial investment in interior, maintenance or even a question of procedure? I'm puzzled. (Although the 16 person cleaning army I saw waiting for my last TG flight must make a difference..)

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US 757 is an older plane - but it's still competitive with the product that most other carriers are operating to hawaii - the one exception is continental's businessfirst service from EWR direct to HNL. Most travel to Hawaii is leisure, and is usually done by price or mileage availability - so there is little advantage to having an exceptional product. I'll take lower fares and better upgrade polices to hawaii over a superior product.

US has slightly less seat pitch than the competition, but if you're traveling with a significant other, that's not really an issue. Many carriers operate the 757 to Hawaii - and many aren't in good condition. AA's 757s slAAve ships are a pretty fair comparison.

US is doing a lot of cabin upgrades, but focusing it on more profitable areas. It just finished installing first class in the express fleet (>50 seat). It's adding it's envoy suite to the A333s and renovating those cabins. It is also taking in new A321s to replace aging 737s. US also acquired 1 used 757 for Hawaii last year - that particular plane should be in good shape.

For the Hawaii 757s, the big question is what the replacement aircraft is. The A321neo could potentially do it - but nothing is finalized yet. Second hand 757s (perhaps from lease rejections from AA) - could potentially add slightly newer planes with lower cycles.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delay, just got back and uploaded the pictures today...

I know some of these are gonna give you flashbacks... big old-school buttons, an ashtray in the lavatory, the works.

[​IMG]

Broken trim on the window.

[​IMG]

Covers where the Airfones used to be...

[​IMG]

And yes maybe I am being picky, but I think I'm not alone when I say that if you call your product "First Class" then it shouldn't feel like it's falling apart.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicken enchilada on the EWR-PHX leg. No chicken to be found, but it was better than the alternative... :)

[​IMG]

Some carrot/coconut cake as desert... (return leg was pineapple :) )...

[​IMG]

The food choice on the 757 from PHX-HNL.

[​IMG]

And some sorbet as desert...

[​IMG]

Gulfstream 550 and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, a bit of rather important news... :)

US operates two flights out of HNL, both of which are after 11pm. The ticket counter, check-in area and (required) agricultural inspection stations are completely unmanned until 8pm. The entire area looks deserted and people just sort of "hang out" in the outside area with their luggage until the employees show up.

At 8:15-ish (8:30 in our case) the US people showed up and we had to scan our checked luggage for prohibited agricultural items, then check in, then take the items to a second TSA scanner where they went through an X-Ray machine -- at that point it's out of your hands and you proceed to the gate.

And btw bring comfortable shoes... US seems to operate out of gates 30/31 which are an incredible hike from the check in counters. :)

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The food looks on par to what other carriers serve. It's really tough to make gourmet food in the air by reheating in ovens and a dulled taste pallet at elevation. It's what I'd expect on domestic first class unfortunately.

UA has tons of airfones on their 757s and 767s still. I'm pretty sure AA does as well, but would need to confirm.

The broken trim sucks, but shouldn't really detract from the experience too much.You can only get to the trim by actually replacing the window.

Any airplane built when there was smoking in the air will have ashtrays (I recall this was very common in the 1990s) Some airlines removed them if they can to save weight. Most airplanes flying to hawaii (except the 737s from LA, the HA A330s and possibly the 777-200A from UA and the 767-400s from CO) will have ashtrays.

The call button/lights are old, but still functional. US has one of the most advanced sets, with the usual electronical devices light replacing the non-smoking light on most of their airbuses. US's new 321s are done very well.

Some airlines have replaced their bins to add bin extendeders, which would have updated the overhead units. It's pretty interesting seeing this in some of the 767s where first and business get new bins and they stop at the first break in economy and the rest of the cabin has the original bins.

US's 757s to Hawaii will likely leave once there is a suitable candidate to replace it on this route.

At least their 757s are painted better than some of their counterparts: (photo from 2010), hopefully repainted in the new livery by now.

[​IMG]

8. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One more pic, the AA 757... newer bin extenders but older seats.

[​IMG]

bmg42000 and Flyer1976 like this.