EWR or LGA to Manhattan?

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by cheryld, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, we are flying LAN out of JFK (one of the last minute Santiago/Easter Island bookings on Executive club). I live near ORD. In order not to stress that day. I was going to fly into New York the day before, spend the night in Manhattan, see some sights and then go to JFK that next day to start our journey.
    I am going to book an avios award (4500 each) for DH and myself. I can fly into LGA or EWR. I know about the train from EWR and I guess we would taxi from LGA - but is one preferable?
    Any tips on getting to JFK the next day? Our flight leaves at 8pm - we are not checking bags.

Thank you!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do you plan on staying in Manhattan?

If in midtown/downtown/westside - I'd fly to EWR so you can easily take the train or an easy car service in.

For the east side, LGA is your best bet. Plus, there may be more options ORD-LGA should things go south.

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't made a reservation yet. I have both the free night at Marriott cat 1-4 cert or my free night at any Priority Club anniversary cert. Any recommendations?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    From ORD, I would fly into LGA, which, depending on time of the day/traffic, can be a mere 15 min to Manhattan's Eastside by cab, 25-30 min to the Westside, where you will probably wind up. UA flies into LGA from ORD almost hourly. From Manhattan to JFK would run you about $45 by yellow cab or car service.

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  5. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From LGA you can also take the M60 bus for $2.25 into Manhattan. It runs every 10 minutes or so.

jbcarioca and yaychemistry like this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll then need to change to the subway or another bus to get to any of the areas you're likely to be staying in. You can do that on a single fare if you've purchased a metrocard at the airport.

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vote for LGA. It is more centered to Manhattan so anywhere you want to go is about 20 minutes away.

EWR is good if you are staying in the village/soho area ~20 min.

All times are depending on traffic. But honestly both options are fine. I just prefer LGA.

jbcarioca and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long are you staying on EI? I went last year and it was amazing!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, looks like 3 1/2 days - LAN keeps changing my flight times :-( Glad to hear you liked it! Any recommendations? Update - just checked your blog - cool picture! How did you do that?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks- glad you liked the pic! It takes a little bit of practice :)

When are you going to Easter Island? Did you plan anything so far?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're staying in the Wall Street area or the area immediately around Penn Station (where the train from Newark arrives), then Newark is probably a better choice. If you're staying way uptown, La Guardia. Other locations it's probably a toss up.

From Newark, you can take the monorail to the train that arrives at Penn Station, you can take a bus to Penn Station or (I think) a couple of other locations in Manhattan, or you can take the super shuttle for (I think) $17 pp to anywhere in Manhattan. Cabs will be expensive (since they can't get a return fare in New York).

From La Guardia cab is reasonable to uptown or the upper east side. You can also take the M60 bus to 125th in Manhattan and change at Lexington Ave for the 6 train (east side) or St Nicholas Avenue for the A, B, C, or D trains (west side, midtown, downtown), all on a single fare.

To get to JFK, assuming you fly on a weeknight, you'll be dealing with rush hour. I'd seriously consider taking the train or subway because, although they take a while, you'd have to build in an extra hour by car or bus to deal with possible traffic delays. I usually take the A train to Howard Beach and then allow myself to be extorted for $5.50 to ride the monorail to the terminal (there are other routes).

12. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually a car service is much cheaper to & from Newark than a cab. The main ones are Dial7 and Carmel, 212-777-7777 and 666-6666.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of this depends on luggage as well. With a lot of luggage, it's tricky.

I would do ORD-LGA, especially with AA. Honestly, I'd do ORD-HPN before ORD-EWR. I'm not a fan of EWR, but do end up there quite a bit.

Cabs from EWR to NYC are very expensive. $80-100 easily. The Lincoln Tunnel is $12 and depending on the route there are a few other smaller tolls in NJ. You are crossing state lines, so the Elizabeth NJ cab can't pick up in NYC, so you're basically paying for two round trips. LGA and JFK are both in New York City proper and the same cabs can operate both trips. Car service to EWR is much cheaper than a cab, but more expensive than LGA due to distance and tolls.

For EWR via NJ Transit train, outside of peak hours, they usually have 2 trains / hour, running within 10 minutes of each other. So if you miss one, you're stuck for 40 minutes. Coach USA operates a $15 / person bus, which i usually take. It is scheduled to run every 15 minutes but I've seen them skip services when they are short drivers or have very few passengers.

Cabs from LGA to NYC can easily be under $30, but depends on traffic and where you are going. Black car service is available for slightly more. Another option is taking NYC Airporter from LGA. $12.50/person. Takes you to Grand Central, Times Square and Penn Station. There is a free transfer service at Grand Central for midtown hotels. But for two people, a cab is only slightly more and much easier.

To get to JFK , it's a $45 cab ride (flat fare) - or you can take the subway or the train. My favorite way of getting there is via the Long Island Rail Road and connecting to the JFK Airtrain at Jamaica. The Long Island Rail Road runs very frequently (about every 10 minutes basically all the time). During the weekends, you can buy a City Ticket for $3.75 (+5 Airtrain fare).

For HPN, I would take a cab to the White Plains Metro North station (about a $12 fare). From there, it's about a 30 minute train ride into Grand Central. Much easier to access the east side of NYC vs. Penn Station.

CherylD, jbcarioca, gpaya and 2 others like this.
  14. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Eric's advice. Take a cab from LGA (or car service $28.00 Carmel, 212-666-6666). I've taken the train from EWR to NYC many times and half of those times had a long wait for the NJ Transit train.

Same for JFK except if you're near the E train and have the time take it to Jamaica to the JFK Airtrain. Just be sure you get off at Sutphin Blvd stop - not the last stop "Jamaica - 179 St" - for the Airtrain connection. Give yourself about 90min to get to the airport. It normally takes about 70min but delays happen when you least expect them.

15. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for all of the helpful advice! Sounds like a car service from LGA is the way to go. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, you'll be better off taking a yellow cab...a car service costs more. From my home, which is on the Eastside near the Queensboro bridge, to LGA I can pay as little as $12 by yellow cab, but car service will charge $28 ($35 when they are busy, e.g., peak travel season), and it will be a lot more to the Westside. The rule of thumb for NYC is that go with the yellow cab from JFK or LGA for better value (avoid car services or "gypsy cabs"). I have never taken the train or bus, but I am quite familiar with car services (which I take from home to the airport because I can have one pick me up even at odd hours) and cabs (which I take from the airport by standing in the queue after waving off the "gypsy" cab drivers)...

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this completely. I was just making the point that to EWR specifically a car service is much cheaper than a taxi. The only time I take a car service is when I have a flight arriving late at JFK and it's cold out, since sometimes there are no cabs (if you're unlucky you can get stuck waiting quite a while).

Speaking of car services, does anyone know a good one for NYC? Dail7 and Carmel are OK but they don't actually meet you at the airport (you have to wait) and once in a while I want to avoid this. I used to use Millennium, which was terrific, but they seem to have gone out of business a few years ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually this is nice to know because every time I have booked with Carmel, they have sked me (a) if I wanted to be picked up at destination (it could Singapore but they claim that they are networked to offer the service worldwide), or (b) if I wanted to book a pick up for when I came back, but I have never accepted the offer. It is interesting to hear that they make you wait...

Dial 7 and Carmel are the only car services that I have ever used...

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wait isn't too bad usually, typically 10 or 15 minutes. But sometimes after a long flight this is a pain.

I use Carmel quite a bit, they seem slightly cheaper than Dial7 plus give AA miles (although their restrictions on when you can use their coupons are nuts). I've never been offered a pick up at my destination -- they must like you!

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, you cant really go wrong.. all the choices are fine..
    It depends upon you, and your preference..
    #1 consideration IMHO, How much luggage? If minimal, I'd take the train from EWR.. VERY easy, fast, & cheap! :)
    Should be great both on EI & NYC.. enjoy! :)

jbcarioca and gpaya like this.
  21. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also like LimoRes/Groundlink (limores.net/groundlink.com) since you can make reservations worldwide online. They're fairly responsive to irrops/customer service issues.

doc and jbcarioca like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay in Chelsea or Penn Station areas and choose your hotel you can take AirTrain then Amtrak or NJ Transit that will be cheap and easy since you've no bags .http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

On your return taking the subway will be fast and cheap http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

There is no LGA option so convenient as these two, assuming you have no or little baggage and you stay near one of the stops for both trains. I often stay near Herald Square if I am in for just a day or so because the PATH ends at Herald Square and the subway AirTrain to JFK stops at IND express stops and is faster than any other option to JFK. I sometimes even schlep bags if my time is shorter than is my fatigue (there are steps, lots of steps.

CherylD and tondoleo like this.