EWR lease extended 20 years; $150mm in upgrades coming

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and edcho like this.
  2. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO -- wish they would mention/install more GDIS, renovate the UCs, and improve/expand the bathrooms. That airtrain is so slow too.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The EWR UClubs are fine. Not the nicest in the system by any stretch but hardly as worn down as many of the legacy UA clubs around the country. And I don't remember the bathrooms in the terminals being particularly bad. Getting more GIDS into operation would be nice but even those are of limited value to me with the mobile website sharing the same data from wherever I happen to be sitting.

4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Coming from the United side before the merger, I must state how great it is to have showers available at EWR United Clubs( & IAH). When compared to IAD, EWR is such a much better United hub airport especially for international arrivals which do not have the long waiting time for customs and collecting bags. This is so common at IAD with too many flight arrivals, not enough CBP agents, and not enough baggage carousels to handle the banks of European and Asian flight arrivals. Interestingly enough, the IAD B terminal is a completely different world and excellent in terms of the gates and the LH lounge is great as well.

8MiHi, Scottrick and snod08 like this.
  5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The GS area in EWR is under construction, the agent told me they are expanding the building on that side and want to make it like the GS check in in ORD

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dislike arriving to EWR on intl itineraries now that I am no longer an O&D customer. Having to schlep from the B terminal over to my connecting flight in the C terminal via AirTrain is a total pain in the you-know-where.

When there is a bigger CPB area in terminal C. I will be much happier with intl connections thru EWR.

7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is "GS"?

8. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Services

I feel like that this has been under construction for awhile (maybe I just spend too much time at EWR). Looks nice from the outside though.

rggale likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The large area between C and the P4 garage which has been under construction for a year or so now is a baggage handling facility. There was a lot of talk about adding GS services and possibly an GFL at EWR but, to date, I haven't heard more details on where they're going to make it happen or when.

8MiHi likes this.
  10. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they are working on it as now there are white frosted doors (near the BusinessFirst checkin is / or used to be) that says Global Services on it.

Wandering Aramean and 8MiHi like this.
  11. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looked pretty much done to me from the outside on Saturday.

edcho likes this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The baggage and hanger work at EWR will be quite welcome. The passenger terminals can get by.
    I think they will do some modest but significant work on Terminal C. I don't think they need to spend large dollars to make the place better. For the most part they just need to finish what they have started and rationalize some of the check-in areas. There are some gates at the ends of concourses 1 and 2 that need upgrades and use by nothing bigger than a United Express aircraft. The UCs in EWR are good, but they really need power outlets. The new GS area is definitely off to one side and is somewhat inconvenient, but very inconspicuous, which may be what they were looking for. It's also by C3 security where pre-check has been instituted. I may never get past the frosted doors to find out what goes on back there...
    pmCO was trying to put all international arrivals through terminal C to avoid the monorail that secretsea18 has issues with. That plan seems to have gone away with the merger. That was a good plan, I liked that plan.
    Putting all flights in C would be for the best, but that might leave some gates open in A which might attract other airlines.

13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me the intl arrival issues are time related and you get to enjoy full on TSA checkpoint yet again to make it over to your connection in C

8MiHi likes this.
  14. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know that UA used Term B at all. I've always arrived in Term C for my international flight and used Term A for regionals (hence I always thought the setup was similar to how SFO is running operations now).

15. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've arrived in B more often than C for UA/CO flights.

16. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I've been extremely lucky :).