EWR layover looking for restaurant

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sfo1, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have about 4 hour layover at EWR, not enough time to go into NYC, anyone suggest a nice place close to the airport for dinner? Or perhaps a nice hotel that has decent food and also a complimentary airport shuttle to get me from/to airport?

jbcarioca and stimpy like this.
  2. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing good, unfortunately :(

3. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a layover recently at the Sheraton EWR and from the shuttle ride to the hotel and back I certainly didn't see anything interesting. I had some food in the Club, but it wasn't anything good. The Sheraton is about to become a Doubletree so maybe that will change something?

jbcarioca and sfo1 like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately four hours isn't enough to go into any of the nicer areas of New Jersey (yes there are some). With more time, you could rent a car and drive to Princeton or New Hope, PA. The Rutgers main campus is in New Brunswick which has a few blocks of a historic downtown area with restaurants. Don't even think of going into beautiful (not) downtown Newark, which I would describe as a slum without a city.

Check if any of the airport hotels have restaurants that seem at least slightly appealing. Otherwise, I would just stay in the airport and either find a restaurant there or hang out in a lounge. Do you have Priority Pass or other access?

jbcarioca, stimpy and sfo1 like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem getting into a lounge, just thought it would be nice to get outside of the airport for some fresh air and a
    bite to eat before my next 10 hour flight.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think I saw a Marriott on line that is close,might check that out.

7. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of hotels nearby with shuttle service. I think the Marriott has an Italian restaurant which might be good. It's Jersey after all. ;)

jbcarioca, MSPeconomist and sfo1 like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some Italian places inside the airport too.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Won't there be a meal on your flight? It's hard to imagine ten hours with no food being served.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't bother with that short of a time window and rather stay at the airport and call it a day. Getting anywhere "nice" is going to take some time, and it's not unheard of to have problems on 1/9 or the highway right near the airport, or traffic from the Ikea or the nearby mall or some crazyness.

You start heading out and you never know what kind of mess you're going to step into. It'd be different if you had 8 hours to kill, but with 4 hours and having to clear security again, you're asking for trouble IMO. :)

MSPeconomist, jbcarioca and sfo1 like this.
  11. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some excellent Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark, near Penn Station, that are a short taxi ride away from EWR. If you go on Chowhound, you should be able to find something that sounds appealing. Figuring 10-15 minutes each way, you should still have plenty of time for a good meal.

12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes there will be a dinner service, I am waitlisted for BusinessFirst on CO to TLV, but if I don't get a confirmation prior to my arrival from SEA to EWR I will eat prior to departure, as I do not eat food served in economy, if I am in economy I always eat prior to flight or bring my own food with me.

MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Docster is correct. The reviews may overdo this but Tony da Caneca http://www.yelp.com/biz/tony-da-caneca-restaurant-newark will give you an experience of Newark as it once was, in Ironbound as a Portuguese enclave. Four hours is plenty of time to have a unique experience.

The taxi driver might be peeved. It is only a ten minute drive or so.

sfo1, MSPeconomist and ducster like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The taxi will just take the long scenic route via Atlantic City or Philadelphia. No problem. :D :eek:

sfo1 and jbcarioca like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there not some chance of the upgrade clearing at the gate when boarding starts?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It could clear up to the last minute, but would rather get a good meal prior to flight, then if I get the upgrade I can nibble. Usually go to sleep pretty much after the flight has departed anyway.