EWR Elite Improvements

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benolaa, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    C3 was very quick today with 3 security lines and almost no wait in addition I noticed that the customer service centers have regained the EliteAccess line. Its nice to see Continental finally fixing some of the issues at EWR.

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think customer service EA line availability depends on the time of day. :(n Sunday evening there was no EA customer service line.

3. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The key will be ensuring that Gateway agents at the security checkpoint are properly trained to turn away customers who have neither EliteAccess printed on the their BP nor travel with those who do. I would be in favor of maintaining an EA line at the C-1 checkpoint though, since going from C-1 all the way to C-3 (and v.v.) is a bit of a hike. Since the change, I've only used C-3, but that included a trip out of the C88 'pit'.

With EA near C-3 now, I wonder if this will result in more crowding at the C-3 Presidents Club, since most PC members will be have to pass the lounge on their way to C-1/C-2, and might be more inclined to stop at the first lounge they see rather than make it all the way to the C-1 club. This would be especially true of travelers who don't know the airport that well.

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those going through the EA line should know EWR well enough to have developed their own preferences for which club to visit.

5. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree a C1 Elite line is definitely a good idea as it is a long trip back and forth.

6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory, yes, but in practice, not necessarily. Plenty of wealthy, several-times-a-year travelers I know have gone for Presidential Plus cards, which gets them P-Club membership and EliteAccess ground benefits. The fact that you have to walk past a PC en route to C-1/C-2 gates from the C-3 checkpoint could conceivably lead to some of these pax visiting the first club they see without realizing there may be another one closer to their gate of departure.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would do it, though I tend to be one of those people who will walk the distance to get to my preferred club (I have been trained at IAD) instead of whichever one is most convenient

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. The bar staff at C-1 is aces and I prefer the quieter atmosphere of that lounge, though it's a haul from the C-2/C-3 gates.

I don't think it will be much of an issue, regardless, but might be something to keep an eye on at peak periods.

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just wait till CO start selling Choices by United... The line will be open to everyone with 20 bucks in their pocket

10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be $40 at EWR, have to fund the kickbacks to ensure that this is actually enforced [​IMG]

11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO is already doing similar with regard to upgrades -- look up "Tens :(f Dollars" (or TOD) on FlyerTalk.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Seriously, not even close to what UA is doing. Elite lines are out the door at SFO, IAD and ORD

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real difference is that UA sells the features of elite status on the ground that are plentiful and cost next to nothing, while CO sells the limited comfortable seating and extra service in flight