EWR Airtrain closing May 1

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Olton Hall, Apr 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a heads up for everyone at EWR connecting between Terminals, car rental, on airport parking, and the rail station. The Airtrain is scheduled to shut down for 75 days starting May 1 for repairs. Buses will be used to connect between terminals and on-street parking. Buses will also be used to ferry passengers to Newark Penn Station for rail connections. The EWR rail station will be closed during this time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is just awesome.... That's going to be a super pleasure going back and forth to the car rental facility... :(

Newscience likes this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suckfest.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should drop on-site parking prices during this fiasco.

8MiHi, genemk2, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense in the Port Authority kind of way -- the summer months are the busiest months at EWR so this way they can inconvenience as many people as possible,

6. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    And with the Pulaski skyway closing down to all NYC bound traffic for 2 years starting on Saturday, it's going to be a real joy.

7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like our planned trip for late May or early June will now be connecting through either ORD or IAH rather then EWR. The loss of the AirTrain will make changing terminals more of a hassle for connections, particularly for those arriving on international flights.

8MiHi and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a mess...

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avoiding all intl connections through EWR now

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even before it's been shut down, traffic is horrible, as there are lanes already blocked!:eek:

canucklehead and TAHKUCT like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least this is a low traffic airport. (ha ha)

Flyer1976 and TAHKUCT like this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does Christie's office have anything to do with this and if so what does he know about it?:D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    traveler, Flyer1976, bigx0 and 5 others like this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airtraingazi.

mht_flyer likes this.
  15. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope these fixes somehow makes that thing run faster -- it's to damn slow right now and crawls between the train station and P4 (if it doesn't stop working).

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what they are doing? The air train is a pos box at best.

When internationals get sent to B, the train gets jammed obviously.
    Also if you arrive after midnight forget the idea of using the so called air train.

There days i only go to EWR if I have to. Internationals. Thats it.

Thank g-d for p.s service at JFK

17. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The runway closures will add to the discombobulation of those arriving on international flights and hoping to make a quick and easy connection to a domestic flight, with the inbound runway delays coupled with no AirTrain to change terminals. Wow, what a SNAFU !!!

canucklehead likes this.
  18. RNE

RNE Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without consciously planning it, out of five TATL trips booked for 2014, only three segments (two eastbound, one westbound) go through EWR*. The others go through ORD. I'm not saying ORD is a picnic; I'm merely saying it's eyeopening that as a 40-year CLE/CAK flyer (who has never connected internationally at ORD) I am now doing so seven times in one year! Not to mention a few domestic connections there.

RNE footnoting: *As luck would have it, two of those three EWR connections and in the 75-day window.

19. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I came back to EWR today to my car in P4. You need to exit Terminal C on level 2 by Economy check-in and walk outside to where the bus stand is. Buses were fairly abundant; I waited about 2 minutes for a bus to P4...which made a stop at Terminal A before going back to P4. Not very efficient for us to go back to Terminal A, but the overall trip to P4 wasn't too bad or too long. There were EWR agents dressed in red at both ends, helping out with instructions and even helping some with their bags/etc.

But it's no monorail experience. I'll avoid parking at the airport or the local hotels until the monorail is back.

20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sir, are in luck.....
    photo-778529.JPG

8MiHi and blackjack-21 like this.
  21. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks, I think! I'll definately look for that recombob sign as I'm deplaning from YYZ (or coming back from the UK later this year), but are you completely sure that there'll be signage pointing out the signs to that particular sign so I can email our visitors from across the pond to advancely awareify them as to it's location? As they've never been to EWR before, I can just see them wandering aimlessly around the terminals for hours (or days) looking for that exact, small sign.

So you have slightly deSNAFUified the problem for me, but the SNAFUification will remain for those thousands, possibly zillions too, who are now subject to the additional SNAFUingness of having to search out the signage which invariably may then lead to the new RECOMBOBULATION sign, resulting, no doubt, in them being udderly worn out and exhaustingly tired too, as they board their connecting flights to wherever they're connecting to at the time they do so.

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:

It was actually a joke. That picture, I believe is from Milwaukee Airport, right after you clear the "security" checkpoint. I just thought of that sign when I saw you type "discombobulation."

I haven't been to EWR in years, about 10 or so now. I hope your travels through there go as well as they can.

By the way....if you're coming from YYZ, you'll clear Customs in Toronto, not EWR. You'll be arriving as if you were on a domestic.

8MiHi and blackjack-21 like this.
  23. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really thought you'd photoshopped the sign, as I couldn't believe they'd really put up a sign like that in an airport, but it's a great idea to have after security at any terminal, as long as someone is then able to figure out what it means. Never having been to Milwaukee I must have missed the sign on our travels, but it's definately a must see on our next trip anywhere as I'll route throught there on the chance of seeing that, if I can find it. It might help with me frequently discombobulating with my losing patience with those who are confused and obviously not recombobulated in their entirety. Don't laugh, as remember when you reach the almost middle aged seniority that I've long since passed, you may also find that "patience is a virtue, get it if you can, sometimes in a woman, but NEVER IN A MAN", which my wonderful wife often reminds me that the phrase suits me.
    But as we men often know, most times quotations are not 100% correct, although there may be some whose patience may lead them to think so at the time.

Thanks for the YYZ tip, but living about 15 miles WSW of YYZ for many years we've been through the preclearance frequentlier more then often, so I agree it's a better way to be pre'd into the States. However when flying from YYZ-EWR most of the UA (formerly CO !) flights are all on E145's with the exception of an occassional D8-400, and the majority of the JungleJets all come into T-A at EWR while the infrequent Dashes land at T-C. So the -145 flights still require the buses from A to C for connecting onward, which almost discompentionates for getting pre'd at YYZ because of the forworded terminal change on arrival at the EWR bus stop.

BTW, is Pabst still the Beer that made Milwaukee Famous, or has that too gone the way of Schlitz?

24. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know ... can I just walk from Terminal A to car rental? It seems like a rather short distance!

25. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you like to play real-life frogger, yep!

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.