Evolve Money

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gconnery, Mar 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't heard about it via FrequentMiler's discussion, there's a new online payment service you might find useful:

https://www.evolvemoney.com/

The good news is that debit gift cards with PINs work here and you can pay bills with no fee. The bad news is that most of your credit card companies aren't listed and you can't add new companies. But since many mortgage companies ARE listed, you may be able to pay your mortgage with gift cards which you purchase for points. And do it online for no (additional) fee.

I've used it twice now, once just as a test and once to successfully pay my > $1,000 mortgage with Wells Fargo. Since there's a $1,000 a day limit, there's been a lot of posts on FT about how to go about getting your payments to show up correctly as a mortgage payment, rather than ending up being applied to your principal and thus you ending up still owing the bank money at the end of the month. In my case I used > 2 $500 gift cards. I used the first two one day, and the other the next day. Previously when I simply made a payment it showed up as "Applied funds" on wellsfargo.com, but this time after all the payments had been made they all showed up as "Payment Posted". The trick seems to be to have the total of all the payments equal your monthly mortgage payment.

Anyway, you may find this useful while this lasts, since it lets you MS another $X,000 on top of whatever you're doing with Bluebird/Serve each month.

Nobody in #MileMadness is doing it since it doesn't recycle the money back to you, so it may not be getting a lot of hype this month. Still worth looking into though.

satman40, About Again and Counsellor like this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good tip thanks for sharing gconnery. Going to try this with next month's mortgage payment.

gconnery likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can check whether your mortgage company is on their list without even getting an account. I can't guarantee that all mortgage companies behave the same. I know that over on FT what some people have done if they have mortgage's over $1,000 is to create more than one account (I assume you just need another email address) and thus skirt the $1,000 limit--post $1,000 from one account and whatever from the 2nd account etc on the same day. I know that Wells Fargo seems to treat all payments received on the same day as "one" and thus if they add up to the exact amount of your monthly payment, they classify it as your monthly payment.

I wish Evolve had a "note" field you could write in, but they don't.

If your local utility company doesn't take credit cards, or changes too much for the use of same, or you just want to earn 5X for paying them with a gift card, you may be able to do that as well.

4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, posted totally correctly in my case. Payments over two days (2 at 11pm PST one night, more at 7am the next day). The payments posted on different days but for whatever reason they automatically classified them as a monthly mortgage payment once they were all done. Great.

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I should mention that if you are making multiple payments to the same place, you should wait say 10 minutes between payments. This may only apply to multiple payments that are the same amount (like $500) to the same place. If you don't you may get an error saying you already did that or something. If you see this just wait a few minutes and try again.

6. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used this to pay my car loan and utility bill last month. Will try mortgage next month.

7. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was successful in paying my utilities and car payment last month using my Chase Ink Bold card but can't seem to get the payments to go through this month. Looks like the service is not accepting credit cards anymore. Anyone having any luck?

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

After reading your post, I tried on my account. It seems that the payment is going through with no problems.

9. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Marc, thanks for responding. I just tried again and I'm not able to get my Chase Ink Bold card to work in making a payment. Checking out the flyertalk board, looks like many people are reporting being unable to use credit cards anymore either. Can I ask what credit card you are using?

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Evolve Money fixed the loophole that allowed credit cards to be used directly some time back. You'll have to use real debit cards or gift cards.

satman40 likes this.
  11. rosco

rosco New Member

Status Points:
    How do you purchase debit card card with pin? I have Chase SP card & wondering if anyone is on the same boat like me. All the stores like CVS,Staples,Wall mart require Cash only to buy PIN enabled reload debit card. Can someone please guide me in the right way?

Thanks.

12. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try other drug and grocery stores. There should be at least one in your area that allows it. Also, try looking for stores that have empty shelves where the variable load gift cards should be. :) That's usually a sign that they let people buy gift cards with CC.

13. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried adding my car payment (Volvo Car Financial Services) and it found the payee fine, but when I added my account number it says the account number isnt recognized. Thoughts or suggestions?

Attached Files:

14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a guess, but if your account number has spaces or dashes in it, try leaving them out and just entering the number.