Evidently, it's not 'what' you post, but 'who' posts it that matters..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gregm, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a post moved to another thread, I suppose because it was similar. Who decides what's similar to something else, I do not know.

Another MPer posted the same story in 3 different forums and they stuck. I must be making the MP gods angry.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on who is moderating and what moderating 'style' they and the forum have. Some forums are run by a staff team with a set outline of rules, procedures, etc. to be followed while others may operate on a loose set of rules with judgment calls left up to the staff member making the change.

It's possible your similar post was noticed, and someone wanted to keep the topic organized. It's also possible when someone duplicated their three posts and they stayed, either staff coverage was light, they were all sleeping, or someone brought donuts into their break room. It's also possible you made the MP Gods angry. :D

When it comes to merging threads, whenever something is similar and merged, the thread that remains is usually the one that was posted first in my experience. Of course, YMMV. ;)

If you really want to know about your particular post, you can PM a staff member. Alternatively, you can also report your post in question and ask your question in the report reason if you aren't sure who to PM.

gregm likes this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of duplicates: (Maybe bloggers are exempt?)
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 6.39.16 PM.png

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you asked a staff member yet? I'd suggest starting with that instead of suggesting favoritism toward bloggers. Going down that path will likely be wrought with frustration and more aggravation, and we should be flying and having fun here. :)

gregm likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't asked anyone. Maybe a can of worms! I was just showing an example, but while on the subject, I noticed a whole lot of what is posted there is similar to, if not exactly what everyone else posts in actual categories. Maybe blogs are exempt. Not many replies there either.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Merging threads is very rare here, and duplicate threads aren't frowned upon they way they are on some bulletin boards. I believe the merging of yours was quite an exception, and would warrant a PM to the powers that be to ask explanation.

anileze and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eh, it's ok. The last thing I want is to offend the MP gods!

Newscience, Gargoyle and anileze like this.
  8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm given to understand that they don't offend so easily as
    other types of gods.

9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe because they are made of Higgs-Boson :)

Newscience, gregm and Gargoyle like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or Huggs-Boston.