Evicted from a Marriott... after 9 years

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by viguera, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Extenuating circumstances and all, my brain is in such a bad shape that I can't help but start calculating how many points I would have earned from such a stay :(

marcwint55, B1BomberVB, Espan and 3 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yes, obviously there's more to the story, since the "$89 a night" rate before taxes would equate $2,600+ a month in "rent" at the hotel, which obviously means she could have afforded rent at a very nice place.

Maybe the hotel let her stay there for a while and run a balance or whatever, and the current "$29k bill" is the overall balance past due from her stay. Doing some rough math in my head she should be paying the hotel $33k a year over 9 years, so maybe she paid for 8 years worth of stays and missed the full last year so she got evicted?

I don't know... it's tragic anyway but kind of misguided to try to stay in a hotel (especially with such a high rate for an extended stay) when you don't have the means.

Max M, marcwint55, B1BomberVB and 3 others like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would think with all the points earned on $300,000+ in rent over the years, she should have had plenty of free nights to redeem (unless she wasn't a Marriot member).

I agree she could have rented a place cheaper, but perhaps there is a reason she stayed there. Maybe to be around people since she said she has no one or needs assistance because of her condition.

marcwint55, jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Oh you mean you have a loyalty program I can Join and earn points on my next stay?"
    $33k per year is a lot of points but she may have been using them all along. I think I would have found a residence inn or something more apartment like.

marcwint55, jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not certain, but I think I remember reading about at least one loyalty program that doesn't allow earning points/nights/etc on extended stays. It also sounds like she might not have been paying her rate in full on a regular basis. Quote: "I have always paid... something."

6. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats no way to treat a Plat...

marcwint55, merice107, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta be more to this story.... As others have stated, even at $89 a night, no way anyone would pay that. You can get an extended Value Place or something like that for $189 a week....

LETTERBOY, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I want to know is did she qualify for lifetime Platinum?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if she only paid $150,000 to the hotel she could have easily purchased some sort of home in Racine for $150,000.

If she was able to pay only $50,000, couldn't she have found a mobile home??

viguera likes this.