Everything You Need To Know About The iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/apple-unveils-64-bit-iphone-5s/

Apple unveils 64-bit iPhone 5S with fingerprint scanner, $199 for 16GB

[​IMG]

As expected, Apple has taken the wraps off of its latest flagship smartphone at its Cupertino media event today. The new iPhone 5S is an upgrade in the vein of the previous iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S—it is outwardly similar to last year's iPhone 5 but includes a few key upgrades to keep the design going for another year.

The 5S still has a four-inch 1136×640 display and a Lightning connector, and it retains the iPhone 5's taller and slimmer profile relative to older models like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. However, it includes a new 64-bit "desktop-class" system-on-a-chip (SoC) dubbed the A7 that boosts CPU and GPU performance over the A6 in the iPhone 5.

The chip has twice the general-purpose and floating point registers of its predecessor and is up to twice as fast at performing CPU tasks. The phone supports OpenGL ES 3.0, and Apple claims that the graphics performance in the 5S is 56 times better than in the original iPhone released six years ago.

Read More: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/apple-unveils-64-bit-iphone-5s/

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the camera upgrades ... 64bit chip ... eh I guess ?

fingerprint scanner i guess is cool... but what if you cut your finger are you assed out?

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can learn more than one finger, so I guess I'd train it with one from each hand at the minimum. I suspect -- but I don't know for sure -- you can also use a passcode even when you have it set to use a fingerprint. (For times, I suppose, when you are driving and your middle finger is thus otherwise in use.)

4. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather lackluster upgrade. Better battery life would completely trump any performance boost for the iPhone for me. It's getting to the point where I wouldn't notice much difference in speed anyway... but I guess that's not how they operate.

They updated their camera to compete with others and their software reminds me of what Google is doing with their auto-uploads to Google+ (they make some pictures look GREAT).

I definitely won't be considering it for a potential upgrade.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's huge for gamers. For average folk (like you and me, I guess), not so much.

uggboy, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 4S is finally off contract next month, meaning I can get it unlocked by AT&T (yes, I live in the US, yes, your phones are already unlocked overseas) and I'll do just that and then figure out if anything I do necessitates upgrading to the 5S. Probably not.

The REAL news today is that the 4S is now free on a 2 year contract. That's huge!

uggboy, iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has battery life much improved, claiming 10 hours talk time etc.

uggboy likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you can make do with 8G.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or 3G (& 8GB). But a being world phone is a +

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 4S is a 4G device. Not LTE, but works well.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    4S is 4G my ass... sorry don't believe you. I might say 4G because AT&T paid apple to include HSPA as it but it is not 4G

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's not true 4G. It's 3G renamed 4G for marketing purposes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that's about the same as the iPhone 5.

Edit: we will also have to wait for sites to do some real tests on it. We all know it usually doesn't last as long as companies say.

I suppose... I just don't know how big of a market that really is. Take away the people who don't game on their phones and add those who only play low-demanding games (Candy Crush, Angry Birds, any other game flavor of the week) and I'd assume that's most everyone. I'd guess that younger kids make up most of it.

I just figure that battery life would trump the boost in power for most of their users. I could be wrong.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally agree with you. And somehow playing fast-action games with lots of detail on such a small screen seems silly. But if only I were 17 again...

Gaucho, jbcarioca and MegaDont like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody who has an iPhone 5, me for instance, would be thrilled to have battery life above five hours. This seems to be a major improvement to me, with inclinometer, motion sensors and photo improvements topping my list after battery life.

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Want more battery life? Turn your screen brightness down. That's the #1 use of battery.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do that and disable location services unless I actually need it. Actually i was not complaining. I was simply commenting that the 5S appears to have improved one of the notable weaknesses of the 5, which itself is better than the 4S.

Specifically, Apple says that the iPhone 5S will offer:
    • Talk time: Up to 10 hours on 3G
    • Standby time: Up to 250 hours
    • Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
    In comparison, the iPhone 5 battery life looks like this, according to Apple:
    • Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
    • Standby time: Up to 225 hours
    • Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-battery-life/
    Either way this is not a big improvement implying that the new chips greater speed is coming without increased power consumption.
    Screen brightness is something I watch carefully so i never run out of power during a days use. I do not have a supplemental battery nor do I need one.

Gaucho likes this.
  18. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    and the stock market is not too thrilled with the offering, either. APPL is down over 5% today so far!

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My portfolio notices!:eek: OTOH, I still have pretty good unrealized gains plus a quite nice dividend. Anyway I will buy an iPhone 5S because a family member has just staked a claim on my iPhone 5.

Gaucho and edekba like this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the Apple stock pattern, though: up on rumor, down on news. Doesn't matter if its good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

iolaire, akcae, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody who owns AAPL is either accustomed to that or no longer a shareholder.

iolaire, Gaucho and edekba like this.
  22. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To amplify my earlier post, Apple has since explained a passcode also is required if you use the fingerprint sensor and, in fact, the passcode needs to be entered after a reboot or if you haven't unlocked the phone for 48 hours.

Sounds a lot to me like they don't trust their "revolutionary" security device as much as a plain old passcode.

Gaucho, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  23. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

You can also scan multiple fingers... so if you cut one you're okay.

All the fingerprint does is unlock the passcode. The passcode is used for encryption on the device, so it gets exposed and used differently from fingerprint. It's much like the fingerprint scanners in laptops - they do the same thing.

25. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is the availability of unlocked 5S phones.... are they available in pretty much any Apple Store or is availability still an issue outside of the large cities.....???