EVERYTHING OUT OF YOUR POCKETS!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wijomas, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    The intimidatory shouts of the TSA "agents" are enough to make anyone squirm. Laptops out, liquids out, belts off, shoes off... wallets and cell phones out of your pocket. Oh cr*p. Where the heck is my phone?

So there I was, standing there at SFO Terminal 2, at about midnight, realising that the phone I had just been using in the backseat of the cab was still sitting exactly there. In the back seat of the cab. My first thought was – never seeing that again. My second thought was: perhaps I can call it. So I went to reach for my phone... D'oh.

For me, constant access to the intertubes is a necessity. It's not just "nice to have" - without it, I'm the human equivalent of a headless chicken. So really at this point I had no idea what to do.

I remembered from our tour at SFO that there was a vending machine somewhere nearby that sold cellphones. I quickly purchased one of those, and made several attempts to call my phone without success. Fortunately a fellow MPer arrived in the lounge at this point and also let me borrow his phone. Still no joy. Hmm.

About to start an SFO-DFW-BOS-DFW-SFO mileage run and not really wanting to throw the whole thing away, I thought I'd try one last call... And it worked. Someone answers. Fortunately, it is the cab driver, not another passenger that picked up my phone off the back seat. In his heavily accented broken English, I think I understood that he was going to drop the phone back to the Sheraton, where I had been staying. Great (and good thing I had tipped him well on the trip to the airport)... but considering I'm leaving SFO now and only have a 1hr connection here again on the way back to New Zealand, how the heck am I going to get that?

I asked the lounge agent if there was any possibility of me simply doing SFO-DFW-SFO instead, so that I'd have enough time in SFO to go and get my phone (if the cabbie does actually take it back to the hotel). Well, the DFW-BOS flight is oversold... But it's up to DFW if they want to do that. Off to Texas I go.

In Dallas, I arrive at the gate for my flight to Boston to find them calling for volunteers. I run up and explain my plight. She taps away, trying to avoid pesky change fees (and increased fares), to get me back to SFO. Not looking good. Then suddenly the boarding pass printer spits something out... and there it is. My standby coupon for the next flight back to SFO.

Run down to that gate to discover a rather unhelpful gate agent is trying to ensure that all standby passengers only get middle seats. He calls every man and his dog to the gate, offering to move them out of middle seats into aisles and windows, so that these "standby people who didn't want to pay for the flight will have to sit in the middle instead." Whatever. I don't care. Just get me back to San Francisco, dammit.

While waiting to board, I call the hotel. Did the cab driver drop off my phone? Yes, it's here, sitting on the manager's desk. Yay! Finally, after what seemed like an eternity being squished between two bulky guys that seemingly refused to take off their puffy jackets, we made it to San Francisco. Now... how do I get to the hotel without paying $100 r/t in yet another cab?!

Hmm... I wonder if my National Emerald Elite status is still valid? Yes it is! But the rate is crap, over $100. Off to the intertubes I go (sadly, I have to pull out my laptop to do this instead of just checking on my phone...). I find the Flying Blue rate, which I figure I'm perfectly eligible to use as a Flying Blue member. New rate: $27 + $20 airport fee and a few minor taxes. Including LDW and unlimited miles. Sounds good to me!

The ES aisle had a choice between… a Camry or a Camry. Seriously, where the hell are all the cars? Again... whatever. It'll do. I grabbed the newer one of the two, and headed to the hotel. I realised after I arrived at the hotel that I had miraculously driven there without GPS and really had no freakin' idea how I managed that, having only driven in SFO once before and gotten incredibly lost last time. But I digress...

Leaping out of the car and sprinting into the hotel (ignoring the valet guy's prompts)… I get to the front desk and of course, no-one knows anything about any phone. Am I sure it's here? Yes, I'm sure. I spoke to someone at 3am this morning who had just taken it off the cab driver. Finally after about 15 minutes of searching, the manager comes out with an envelope with my name on it. Inside…. one cell phone. And it's even the right one. YAY!

Obligatory trip to McDonald's, return the car to National, then back through security. This time around, I'd never been so pleased to comply with the "everything out of your pockets…." demand in all my life!

2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek::eek:!

CharlesG and Chimpy like this.
  3. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why didn't you ask me to get it for you and bring it to the airport? I would have been happy to. My office is 6 minutes from the SFW. However this makes for a far more adventurous story to tell. :)

Jimgotkp, cwpfly, YULtide and 5 others like this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was any number of things I could've done differently. But meh :p

YULtide and CharlesG like this.
  5. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    These trips wouldn't be any fun without a few curveballs thrown in.

The much bigger question is if you're going to try to request ORC/trip-in-vain credit for the "missed" BOS segments. :D

CharlesG and FriendlySkies like this.
  6. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    American accents are not so bad once you get used to them

Jeff :)

OY-JFS, YULtide, CharlesG and 2 others like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad you got your phone back!!

YULtide, CharlesG and wijomas like this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like this one had a happy ending ..... one question. What hoops did you have to jump through to get the Flying Blue rate with National?

DTWBOB

CharlesG and wijomas like this.
  9. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, my office is almost at the end of the 5th runway in ATL, so if this happens to someone in the ATL, just call me. jeez, there is no need for this kind of crazy running around.

CharlesG and wijomas like this.
  10. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put the request in already. :D

American accents are fine (hell I almost have one myself by now) - it's Indianiz(s)ed American accents I have trouble with :p

None, didn't even have to show proof of my FB membership since I'm Exec Elite.

But it takes all the fun out of it.. ;)

11. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a crazy adventure.

12. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad everything worked out (kinda) for you! By the time I left the lounge, I think you had just gotten off the phone with the cabbie. I was curious how you were actually going to end up retrieving your phone given that your flight was about an hour after mine. And now I know. :)

wijomas and YULtide like this.
  13. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    He really said that, or was that dramatic license?? ;) I stood by out of SFO a few days ago, and the GA seemed irked when I asked about seat assignments. I was afraid she was going to pull something like that... I compulsively refreshed the seat map as I was sitting in the gate area. In the end, she did move quite a few people, but for the right reasons. Some parties of two got to sit together and I ended up in a window with an empty middle. I guess I didn't come off like a DYKWIA after all. :)

14. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be neat to have an "In case of emergency in XYZ" thread that would be accessible to MP'ers of more than X points where other MP'ers located near airports could be PM'd in case of trouble.

Maybe it already exists and I don't know about it. Hey - are you guys keeping secrets!?! :D

15. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. He really said that. He tried to "whisper" it to one of the pax he moved from middle to aisle, but I was close enough to hear quite clearly. I wasn't terribly bugged by it at the time though as all I wanted to do was get back to SFO!

16. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha, yep... good to see you made it home in the end too! :) Thanks for your help! :D

17. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds pretty intense.. well done :)

wijomas likes this.
  18. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's life without some adventure? :)

wijomas likes this.
  19. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Loved the report, and it reminds me of a part of living I have no connection with, because whilst I enjoyed reading the post and the answers, I kept on thinking, God I am lucky. I have survived this long with out ear phones of any descriptions, a wristwatch, or a phone, mobile or line. I do what I want to do, when I want to or when commonsense say so. I have no need to tell anyone that I have just landed at an airport, or in such a great hurry that there isn't time to check to see if my favourite authors have a new novel out at the bookshop. If I told everybody what I did, and where I am or where I am on my way to, half of them would get violently envious and whilst they would be nice to my face, behind my back they would be throwing the knives. Best they don't know, treat them like mushrooms.

wijomas likes this.