Everything out of your pockets for WTMD????

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Flag_November, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen yesterday in Burlington, VT. There were at least 10 blue shirts standing there as I gathered myself for the WTMD. They don't have nude-a-scopes yet. One guy asked if I had anything in my bag 'like a laptop'. I have a Kindle, and told him so. He told the guy running the scanner.

Then he says, is everything out of all of your pockets? That's a new one on me. I said no. Everything has to be out of your pockets. I gave him the wrong answer: "Why?" Those are the rules. I didn't argue. I went through an early prototype nude-a-scope years ago and had to take everything out of my pockets, but not for the normal metal detector.

Now I have to take my wallet out in plain sight and put it in the tray. I cannot afford to lose my wallet.

Before I walk through the WTMD, another blue shirt with nothing to do says I still have something in my pocket. I pull out a Kleenex. He says keep it in your hand.

No problem after that. At least I didn't have to remove my wedding ring or watch. And we weren't hijacked, so it all worked.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you knew none of the items remaining in your pockets would alarm, I'd have just nodded and stepped through.

It may be because I have a 'X-Ray friendly' butterfly-style laptop bag, but I've never been asked the 'what's in your bag' question at a screening checkpoint. (Actually, there was one time - at YYZ T1 - when I was asked to remove my laptop despite the x-ray friendliness of the bag. But they never asked about any other electronics.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Canadian folks require the laptops out of the bag, and/or any sleeve, regardless of destination (U.S., Canada...wherever). You might get a couple of screeners who don't care, but most will require you to take the laptop out.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a much of cukkah :mad:. If you as the passenger know you have something in your pockets and it will not alarm, why would you take it out of your pockets (i.e. my comb* and my handkerchief which live in the back pocket of my jeans> sheesh. :rolleyes:

*Limited use only ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should have quickly shoved the kleenex in his hand, before he could react. :p

AmericanGirl, Chimpy, chollie and 3 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I shudder to realize I must travel to the land of insanity later next week:eek:

Chimpy likes this.
  7. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How about if I blew my nose first? He was some distance away. I guess that airport can be busier than it was at 4 PM on a Thursday. They had enough TSA standing around to staff ORD. I think they were just bored.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I passed through there (Burlington, VT) in 2005, before the liquid ban, back when shoes with heels under 1" were still allowed. I bought a bottle of maple syrup at a stand in the airport, within sight of the checkpoint. I knew I was in for a hassle as I approached; loads of TSO's standing around bored. Demanded I take my shoes with 5/8" heels off, then proceeded to examine the syrup bottle carefully, and they gave me a full secondary, made me send my wallet back through the x-ray and the supervisor got mad at me for insisting I keep my eyes on it the whole time. They were a resentful and completely useless crew, collecting lots of tax dollars.

AmericanGirl and Chimpy like this.
  9. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well we did ask for a consistent experience at screening, I guess we are getting the most burdensome denominator.

Chimpy likes this.
  10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, if asked again, just say no. Unless I have to opt-out, I always keep my pen, wallet, and any BP or ID in my pockets for the WTMD.. Have not run into any issues with TSA.

Apparently not at YEG.. Went through in January, with my MacBook Pro in an Incase sleeve. Not a word about removing it...

11. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did they see a kleenex? Did a BDO see you making microexpressions like you were going to sneeze? :D

Chimpy likes this.
  12. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess there was a visible lump in my jeans pocket. Basically, once I asked 'why', I was being watched by a dozen sets of eyes. I half expected to get a retaliatory secondary, but in fact I didn't, so I have to give them credit for that. I will be going back there often, so now I know that when I put my change, keys and cell phone in my carry-on, I also need to put in my wallet, Chapstick, tissues, lint, etc., in there as well. It's okay as long as I know.

I was surprised, because my impression is that Vermont is a pretty laid back place. I hope I caught them having a bad day.

13. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why does this only happen at the smallest airports? Are they that bored? I got the full "empty your pockets" treatment at ACY. 6-8 smurfs, 2-3 passengers. Next time, I'm going to stand there and count my money ahead of time. Just in case.

Mike

14. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always clear my pockets and dump into my laptop bag before screening, but my DL stays in my pocket.

For nude-o-scope, the Barney said "nothing at all in pockets," but I left my DL where it was and went through fine.

Wurm likes this.
  15. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    GRR was doing this a couple weeks ago. They refused to let me go through the WTMD until I put my wallet and watch in the xray.

16. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put my wallet into the tray all the time......no problems ever.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I don't understand is how a handkerchief in a pocket can be a problem for the nude-o-scope but the extra fabric of the pocket itself is not.

18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Common sense is not a prevailing factor in these decisions.

N965VJ likes this.
  19. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the take your watch off your wrist and hold it over your head. Much easier to tell it is a watch that way and not an implanted WMD.

20. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't risk anything of value being visible in the little grey bin so my wallet stays in my jacket pocket and my watch comes off and goes in the jacket pocket along with my cell phone as well (and I do a complete "re-dressing" before I leave the checkpoint "just in case" ;))

21. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Silly rabbit, how many times do folks have to tell you that the reasoning is SSI ;)

22. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I do. I keep a couple of large ZipLoc bags in my computer bag. When I am riding the shuttle from the parking lot to the airport terminal, everything in my pockets goes into one of the bags except my DL and my elite card (if needed to get into a premium line), which go into my shirt pocket.

This procedure eliminates fumbling and stumbling while in the TSA line, when my hands are full with shoes, belt and laptop.

After clearing security, my keys and the card from the parking place with my space number written on it remain in the ZipLoc bag. This makes it easy for me to find them upon my return home.