Everyone is Priority Boarding!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Miles, Nov 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter just texted me from the Austin airport, where she is boarding a flight to DFW. She says that when the Gate Attendant called for Priority pax, everyone in the waiting area stood up. Computer snafu?

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to recall that AUS-DFW is a heavily elite route. So it is entirely possible that everyone was elite. This is also the time of year for mileage runs to regain status. AUS-DFW and DFW-HOU are popular flights since they are relatively short and with assorted bonuses, they can add up quick

zpaul and Titans26 like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Often on LAX-JFK flights, the vast majority of pax have some sort of elite status.

zpaul and Mapsmith like this.
  4. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not overthink it. When a lot of people stand up at once, often everyone will. Crowd mentality, crowd noise, a mediocre PA systems, take your pick. There's no reason to assume every passenger is actually elite.

zpaul, Skye1 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What frustrates me is the fact that gate agents don't enforce priority boarding. When EXP only is called, it doesn't mean PLT. When PLT/GLD is called it doesn't mean Group 3. Wouldn't it be a novel idea if agents actually looked at the boarding pass!?

zpaul, Max M, Skye1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I rarely see agents letting anyone waltz down the aisle during priority boarding. I'm more often held up by agents rejecting people and trying to explain to them why they have to wait to be honest.

zpaul and SC Flier like this.
  7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same story at The London Zoo, er, Heathrow, all the time.....a gate agent starts to announce boarding and before their announcement is finished, all have stood to their feet and started toward the gate...some quite assertively so.

At any number of airports, seems to vary: often the gate agents are fantastic about facing/fending off the stampede and rightly "enforcing" boarding priority....sometimes not.

I suppose if the whole plane has priority access, not much they can do.

zpaul likes this.
  8. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a non-elite always wanting to be, I just find it kind of funny/silly that you're upset about other people getting on the plane too early? You're all going to the same place right? I suppose the agents could check if people are platinum or executive or not, but that slows down getting on the plan which could cause a lost spot or more delays... I mean yeah overhead space fills up (I don't think it does in first class?) but other than that it seems rather small..

zpaul likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The bolded/underlined section is key. Not often, but sometimes F class bins get full. And with the new pressure on size and checking bags people are a bit more frantic about getting on board as early as possible. In the grand scheme of things though? I really don't care when I board. :)

zpaul likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority Boarding and various permutations is actually a pretty significant benefit. If overhead space is tight, access to that can matter. Also, the ability to get situated before the flood of people boarding is really started. If you're not concerned about that, then delaying boarding and bypassing the line via priority "carpet" boarding can be a huge convenience. It's one of those minor details that really add up to matter when you're flying frequently enough to be elite.

If there's a backlog in the jetbridge, checking credentials (i.e. reading the boarding pass), even if it makes the GA's work go more slowly, does not necessarily slow down boarding. My preference would actually be to slow things down at the GA to keep the jetbridge line shorter, with waiting spent at the gate rather than on the jetbridge.

11. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good points!

zpaul likes this.
  12. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's also just nice to get on a little sooner and not have people pushing at you from behind. When I have boarded with the masses, I seem to get jostled more. Like most people here, I fly a lot and tend to have an efficient system for getting on the plane, my stuff in the overhead and into my seat. Therefore, I'm always shocked when people push from behind. So yes, the early boarding, for this and the reasons mentioned above, are important benefits to me

zpaul and Skye1 like this.
  13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Redhead on this one. I've got my "system", and it's a pain to get pushed when I'm putting stuff in the overhead. (and yes, I'm 6'6" and whilst standing in the aisle, dwarfing most around me, getting pushed by a small man that would make a hobbit look large is quite amazing, not sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish....).

Was on LAX-LHR reently, and had lingered long in BA Galleries F (hey, I'm a sucker for the sit-down pre-flight dining....) to where I needed to board with those masses, and yes, both in the departure gate and on the plane, 100% jostling.

zpaul likes this.
  14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also worth mentioning that, with the various preferred carpets, priority boarding isn't just about getting on early.

I normally hang out in the lounge as long as possible, and time my gate arrival to be around 20 min before scheduled departure - depending on equipment often around the transition between priority and regular boarding. If regular boarding is in process, there's the chance to bypass the line and board, rather than sticking in the line.

For me it's usually about making it easier to avoid hanging out in the gate area. Depending on the particular equipment, I'm not always anxious to get on board, but any less time waiting in line is always appreciated.

zpaul and Skye1 like this.
  15. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never upgrade to first so overhead is an issue for me, but for the most part you're right. It does helps prevent everyone from crashing the bridge at the same time just like the group boarding does. I actually like getting on last so as soon as I sit down the plane pushes back. It's not like it's SWA where my seat isn't assigned. Boarding early is just another 20 minutes I'm sitting on a plane, who wants that? Some folks just like the special treatment that being the first on the plane awards them, lol. Whatever floats their boat.

zpaul likes this.
  16. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another thought: The boarding process can take time. Sometimes (when i'm not lounge-ing), it's good to just get on the plane and get some work done, check e-mails, make a few calls re; plans with colleagues on landing, etc. and boarding first gives me that time to sit and accomplish that.

zpaul likes this.
  17. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I do get upgraded most of the times, I find the passengers in F to be more aggressive in getting on the plane quickly, so I'm usually near the last getting in to the F cabin, and thus having very little to no overhead space left for my bag. That's why I usually only travel with a backpack.

zpaul and Max M like this.
  18. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good chance that some of the non-Priority AAccess people were normally Southwest customers and have no clue what Priority AAccess means.

zpaul likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very much so. But, OP said Priority Access. That would eliminate EXP/PLT, who would have already boarded. That leaves GLD and PA. There are times in Austin that for a non-status passenger, purchasing PA makes sense if only to use the PA security lines.

As for overhead space? It's nearing Christmas. That's at a premium, so being on first so I can put both my bags in an overhead bin so my feet fit under my seat is IMPORTANT! All kidding aside, it's often not finding overhead space, it's finding overhead space near your seat. If you're last on, you and your bags may be separated, and there's no way you can swim upstream to get them, so you're left being last off the plane.

20. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this is a joke, it's not clearly evident. If it's not a joke, you're part of the problem :rolleyes:.

zpaul and OceanBreezes like this.
  21. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    If everyone is elite, no one is elite. If everyone is priority boarding, no one is priority boarding.

zpaul likes this.
  22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the "All kidding aside..." that immediately followed it, and that you quoted, pretty much made that point.

zpaul likes this.
  23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't true. There are still levels, so even if everyone is allowed PA through elite status, there's still an order to be had. This time of year the # of elites actually thins out, comparatively, as more non-elites are flying.

zpaul and John777 like this.
  24. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see some airline gate agent try this announcement to expedite boarding:
    "Attention passengers. We are now boarding first class." After about one minute, "Attention passengers, We are now boarding everyone else."

25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? The gate agent knows this will just clog things up - they'd be crazy to try it. Their goal is to push the plane on time, and causing a ruckus down the jet bridge helps no one.