Ever wander if you could fake your way to an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by viguera, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a soldier? well, you shouldn't, and just in case you need additional confirmation... :)

For your trouble you get charged for second-degree impersonation. That's what happened to the genius here that pretended to be a soldier to get upgraded on AA, complete with fatigues and fake dog tags.

He freaked out when confronted, saying that he was E5 but wearing SSG insignia and unable to answer where he was stationed. Oh, and he couldn't produce a military ID either.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/gi_faux_scams_airline_ARkpJzHfxRxYhf0KOlb3tM

I wonder if this was just a nice gesture from an FA to move him to the front or if he actually asked for the upgrade because he was (faux) military.

2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know there are a lot of Puerto Ricans and immigrants in the military so it is conceivable that English isn't his first language, but he doesn't look like he can make weight.
    ...at least he had the hair cut.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never met a military man that couldn't produce ID, or that couldn't say where he was stationed -- unless he wasn't supposed to. :)

Oh and apparently his dog tags said "US Marines" :)

4. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I know I just need to 1/2 do my attempt at looking like a soldier and I can also get my picture taken in the cockpit! :rolleyes:

It's all just a language barrier issue though :rolleyes:

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah right... and that's why he knew to say he was E5? :)

I mean I can see the beauty of the scam... if you don't get asked then no big deal, and if you do then you grab the free upgrade and hope you don't get caught. And if anybody catches you just plead ignorance and language problems.

I've known a lot of military people in my life with both my sister and her husband being Army stationed out of Fort Jackson, and I've never met anybody whose English was that bad. :)

6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing is I'm sure he's not the only one out there doing this. It was dumb to go through immigration like this though.

You'd think he would work harder on his story. It's not that hard to name a US military installation.

viguera likes this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware, this guy is pulling the same scam!

[​IMG]

Grace likes this.