Ever thought back on how you began? What have you become?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by marathon man, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall having earned all these miles on various accounts and actually redeeming some on two occasions back when you'd get a voucher in the mail and could walk into the airport with it and just get on a flight worth 25k. But then around 9/11 I started to buckle down and really think about things like... well, everyone was in this mode of thinking where if there was a sudden emergency what would you grab and where are all your important papers and records, etc? Like the checkbook and the deed to your house, and all that. For me, this pile of stuff in my mind at the time included my mileage statements, as silly as that seems now. So I wanted to compile it all, figure out what I had, with whom and how much. And of course, what was worth keeping and earning more on.

That's when I joined a site called frequent flier forum.
    And later Flyertalk.

And now...

Now it has spun in so many directions... I mean, think about it: Because of things like credit cards and banks and coins, many of us here have become uber experts in banking, we have had accounts shut down or suspended, we have had to deal with the IRS, we have become experts in how to handle customer service (and they have sure learned how to deal with us over the years!) and we think nothing of maxing out say 17 cards on gift card and coin purchases every freakin' week! We pay those balances down faster and better than most of the population even cares to dream! I have seen people who do not use CCs because they fear themselves and how they know they will just spend and lose. But we have gone well beyond robbing Peter to pay Paul... it's not even about that. It's about points and miles--and often times it's about things that are needing to be done that get you other things that get you points and miles! or cash back. It's the buzz that comes WITH doing that very process that we adhere to--more than the results themselves! Why, one friend of mine even joked: Dude, if you went away ON a vacation you would suffer withdrawal because you wouldn't be doing all this stuff while away! He's right hahaha.

What have I become!?
    lol

:)MM

savydog, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah
    For me, it started one flight back sitting in Y :eek: and thinking to myself "there must be a way to sit in C" So with a bit of reading I found FT and started reading all about the FF programs, status, etc. I got hooked and a month later did a bunch of MRs during the Denver You Mean the World to Us promo UA had. Went from nothing to 1P and then hit 1K. after that added BA Gold and some hotel status and now I just can't see them go away.
    My friends want me to go on vacation here or there but I tell the "it's not far enough. Not enough miles, but if you went Europe-USA-Asia-Australia for a few days, sure we can go"

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The title makes me think about life rather than FF activity.:) Either way I never had the slightest notion I could accomplish as much with my life as I have, so I am just grateful every day.

4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember flying to Hawaii on a NW wide body and walked longingly by the biz class seats. I decided then and there to get out of coach. Since then I have done a pretty good job of it. ;)

5. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ahhh those days are long off for me... been there a bit but now that I have two little kids, the long hauls are the flights with the 4 seats across and any sort of TV screen lol

heather123, savydog and 2soonold like this.
  6. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes ; but in the end we all have to become something.:)

Horse and savydog like this.
  7. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    lol now THAT should be a signature line! hahahaha Ghandi has spoken!

8. travelmystic
    Original Member

travelmystic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember "back in the day (1980's)" having to call airlines, read newspapers or use bargain travel agents to find deals. Getting bumped and earning free flights was a choice and one only got points by actually flying. Now it is so much simpler, cheap flights are easier to find, credit card points add up to more miles but still the fun is in the travel and we still love it. Our goal has been and always will be to travel for pleasure for a minimum of one to two months a year and enjoy the diverse aspects of the world. Doing it with style and not spending a fortune is just a nice bonus.

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it really kicked in this past summer when my mother, brother, and I were returning from Europe routing through Birmingham and being sat back-to-back-to-back on a CO narrow body and I got to thinking "there's got to be a better way..."

2soonold likes this.
  10. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    With independence and income come great things.

2000 was when the bug bit me, parents took me to a travel agent to book a Thanksgiving flight home. Agent initially priced the international airport 50 miles away, I asked what the local airstrip would cost and it was less for more convenience. It also doubled the segments flown and made me all too familiar with the last days of the US PIT hub. At that point I had neither the means nor time to go for elite status but knew mile were good and valuable.

I stumbled into the US forum over at FT and after a few visits decided it was not parody. Learned and built up my balances culminating in 2008 becoming the year of redemptions, domestic saver on 5 of the 6 legacies (CO and I never got along). This emptied my accounts and let me build anew, focus on programs for maximum reward and shotgun collect only occasionally. A new job and home airport took care of the rest. I am now the go to travel guru in the office.

11. Angeleno228

Angeleno228 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds of a KLM flight I flew to LA in coach around 2004, had the same feeling as you! In addition to the tight horrible seats, I had nasty seatmates... That was it for me! Then I discovered FT around that time... and the sky has been bluer ever since :p

12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    My love for flying and being at airport made me search up a forum and from there I discovered FT.