Ever taken a bump on an award ticket?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of my award travel is on Cathay or Qantas, so just haven't had the opportunity until yesterday when I was coming home from the Olympics on an AA coach award ticket booked 11 months ago. Volunteered in the Admiral's Cub (had two guests so Flagship Lounge or BA/CX lounges were off the table). Made it to the gate and waited to be paged. Once called, agents assured me they would make every effort to get me out same-day and would get me good seats, though they didn't have the time with the 90 min delay on LHR-LAX to get too deeply into the computer system right then.

Once boarding was done, I was rerouted in business LHR-DFW and then coach (original class of service) DFW-SFO. Got my free EXP cookie on that second flight. :) $500 voucher for getting to SFO four hours later than planned and a nice flight with great service LHR-DFW on a 777. Very attentive flight attendants when I wasn't sleeping.

Still waiting for my bag. For some reason when it was offloaded it didn't go to ORD until this morning, and was due into SFO around 1730. I did get a recorded message at 1800 today that the delivery service has custody and it should arrive later today or tomorrow.

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great deal -( I'd probably do it without the $500 ;) Shhh don't tell the airlines!) since I'd rather be in business and get there 4 hours late.

Flyer1976, Kalboz, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  3. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Tom, I also took a bump on an F award earlier this year out of EWR. Got $500 and an F seat 24-hrs later on the same flight (that was my choice).

Flyer1976, uggboy, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost makes up for the painful price of event tickets! Been enjoying your posts about the Olympics.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once took a "bump" of sort on an award ticket, Air China-style. I had redeemed to fly economy on CA, but when Y got full while there was still room in F, my award ticket must have suddenly seemed like 'dead weight' for the profit-loving folks at CA, because they bumped me to F to free up my Y seat. They apparently do that routinely and sell freed Y award seats for revenue. To my surprise, I also earned EQM/RDM for the trip, even though it was an award ticket. I did not complain...:D

uggboy, iolaire, desamo and 1 other person like this.
  6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    wait a minute. why wasn't this thread titled "tom911 took a bump on an award ticket"? :)

harvson3, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those LHR-DFW crews are consistently amazing vs. the hit/miss chances on LHR-LAX.
    Congrats on the bump!

uggboy likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bag arrived at 6 this morning after being promised for delivery sometime before 1a.m. by the delivery contractor - about 30 hours after I arrived home.

9. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've taken a bump on a Southwest award flight. We got on the next flight one hour later and $360 in vouchers richer ($180 x 2).

10. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once bought a ticket and got bumped. Used the voucher for my vacation the next year and got bumped again. Used that voucher the next year. By the next year, i had enough miles from the three trips to take another vacation. All in all, I went from San Diego to Europe, South America,Southeast Asia and Central America. That was in four years. I spent about 12 months traveling.

11. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some reason the bump gods just don't smile on me.
    I've offered, been placed on the list, but it just doesn't happen.:(

basiface likes this.
  12. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I along with my wife did a bump on DELTA awards last year. $400ea plus guarenteed Business seats on next flight plus skyclub access for my wife and I. NYC - LAS.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same here, in all my years of travel I've never been able to get a bump. As a leisure traveler, I'm usually the ideal person to bump. Still no dice though.

Juanefny and desamo like this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Closest I've come is having the FAs go on strike.
    I was in Hawaii at the time, didn't care about any compensation, actually. :D

15. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What? You mean you check instead of carry-on??

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

I check my bags on almost every itinerary. I hate lugging it around the airport and as a leisure traveler I'm almost never in a rush when I land.

All these years later and I've only had a misplaced bag twice.

17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already had two carry-ons, one filled with apparel from a traveler in our party that thinks she should have 60 pounds instead of 50 for her checked bag :D My other carry-on was filled with camera and computer gear and a bunch of cables. My rollaboard, when expanded like it was for this trip, will not fit in the overhead.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sitting out a bump on an award ticket right now, albeit not on AA. Happy to get home 2 hours late and be fed lunch and pocket $250 each in TCVs for the two seats.

JosephMay likes this.
  19. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why, yes, I have. It wasn't from F though.

I enjoyed your Olympic posts, Tom.

tom911 likes this.