Ever check into a local hotel just for the pool?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DAS02135, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need a sanity check?

The weather has been rough this winter and I need some type of warm fun, so I'm thinking of staying at a local Doubletree for a night next weekend just so I can play in a pool, get away from my house, and of course have a delicious cookie. Is that too silly?

I did look around for all the Hiltons within a two hour drive to see if there was one in a city I'd like to explore that was reasonably cheap, but nothing stood out, so I'm just going a couple towns over.

aitchly likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never checked into a local hotel just for the pool, but in some big cities where I have spent a long time I have bought memberships to a luxury hotel health club/pool, which were BIG sanity savers in certain cases- many years ago, staying in Shanghai for a while, getting a membership to the Ritz Carton Club (which at the time had the ONLY nice swimming pool in all of Shanghai- and was the ONLY nice hotel in all of Shanghai)- was well worth the money.

Go ahead- do it if it is fun!

3. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely not! And, if you think this isn't enough reason to stay in a hotel, check out the mattress running thread. You'll get the points, a mini-vacation (with pool), amenities, and yes...the cookie! Enjoy :)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- however those in the mattress running thread do need a sanity check :)

5. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks y'all! I feel a little less silly about my plan.

I did consider a mileage run last year when I thought I'd be 2k short of reattaining status, but I don't think I'm obsessed enough yet for a mileage or mattress run "just because" [​IMG]

6. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good. That mean's we've done our MilePointer duty :) Enjoy the swim!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, another member and I were in PSP a couple months ago and our plans got hosed so we headed to the Hyatt, walked in to the pool area and just made ourselves at home. Ran a bit of a tab at the bar so I'm sure we weren't particularly unwelcome there. ;)

Ended up making a few friends with the people we met at the pool which meant we got use of their room for showering before heading back to the airport that night. We ended up eating dinner with them and another woman we met there propositioned us. It was a rather entertaining day, to say the least.

tahewett and aitchly like this.
  8. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a plan. Combine with an MR or consider going to one when a friend or a bar tab is staying there.

9. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at cashing in some Air Miles for a weekend at the Best Western Lamplighter here in YXU, so the kids can use the waterslide and pool. After our first 4 feet of snow melted at New Years, we have had another 4 feet or so. The kids still think staying at a hotel is fun, so I can probably get away without having to take them back to Great Wolf Lodge (where you can't earn or use points).

10. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not the pool but I've expereince people checking in for the power. Stuck in NY during the blizzards in January 2010, the power went out all across Orange County. Since the hotel we were at, and many of the others, had generators, the rooms were quickly filled up with families and neighbors. Families trying to make the best out of a crummy situation quickly migrated to the indoor pool and pushed the wireless network to its limits. I have never seen a hotel pool so full in all my travels.

aitchly likes this.
  11. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing nicer than staying in a hotel (earning points) close to home just cos!
    And I know a few people who think our home is a local hotel because we have a pool[​IMG]

12. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never stayed just for a pool, but in my younger days I may have snuck into a hotel to use their pool. [​IMG]

13. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too, and not only that, as a kid I would sneak into the pool at the neighborhood club located behind our house (we weren't members). You know the R.E.M. song "Nightswimming"? That was me.

14. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always a tough call as the power will often come back on the moment you slide over the credit card.

cockpitvisit and UADomer08 like this.
  15. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this always the case? I think my credit card has special powers capable of restoring power, fixing my car, and finding my lost [enter any item I have lost in the last 10 years that I found immediately after purchasing a new one]. CC companies should start marketing these capabilities instead of low rates and transfer opportunities!

16. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    We always check into resorts here in PHX in the summer to take advantage of the pools[​IMG]

17. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not waste my time with the pool, however, I have managed to sneak onto the golf course at several country clubs where I was not a member. I considered myself a non-registered guest.

18. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm lucky to have a pool at my condo in BKK ! :D

19. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once checked into the Shangri La Sydney for the pool. Wasn't local though