[EVENT FULL] Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Pizzaman, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Save the Date! Registration and hotel booking will open soon.

The Frequent Traveler Education Foundation is proud to announce the first session of the 2011 Frequent Traveler University.

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) will take place at the Sheraton Laguardia East Hotel on April 30th, 2011.

What to Expect:

Confirmed seminars conducted by:

Randy Petersen

Gary Leff

Lucky9876coins

Ingy

Steve Belkin(Beaubo)

Some tidbits about the upcoming seminars:
    * Flying nonstop can sometimes be nonsense...learn to maximize mileage earning
    * Airline programs across the pond could be better than the ones across town...learn who really values your loyalty
    * Converting your mileage award request from 'no!' to 'no problem'...learn the art of redeeming miles
    * Wallet-sized precious metals...learn why platinum and gold are paved with travel riches

We should have more information shortly on the subject of each seminar.

What's Included:

Friday evening cocktail reception (Free Drinks!)

Breakfast, lunch and snacks on Saturday

A full day of seminars with some of the frequent travel community's best minds!

How Much:

$49 gets you free drinks, a full day of seminars and meals!

Rooms are available at the Sheraton Laguardia East Hotel on Friday and Saturday night for $149. The room block is very limited, so book early. The hotel has less than 200 rooms total, so it will fill up.

We are also limited to 350 spots for the seminars. It is highly likely this event will fill up as well.

For now, please post your interest for seminar attendance in this thread AND also indicate if you will be reserving a hotel room at the Sheraton for Friday night.

We will limit the interest list to 300 for right now until registration opens up, then fill the last 50 spots.

PMs with questions are welcome.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks to Beaubo for putting together an awesome agenda:

Finally, a seminar that seeks to level the playing field for frequent flyers to best benefit from their airline mileage programs- Frequent Traveler University

850a-900a Opening Remarks

MORNING: EARNING

905a-1015a Part 1: Earning By Flying
    Fare Classes: How Flying 1 Mile Could Earn You 2.5 miles or .25 miles!
    Elite Status: How to Transform Precious Metals Into Precious Bonus Miles!
    Mileage Running: How To Top-Off Your Account To Achieve Elite Status or Reach Award Redemption Threshold

1015-1030a Break

1030-1140a Part 2: Earning By Buying
    Credit Cards: Sign Up Bonuses and Most Points Per Dollar of Spending
    Mileage Transfers: How Credit Card, Hotel and Your Best Friends Can Pad Your Account
    Fire Sales: When Airlines Sell Their Miles and Mileage Mall Products For A Can't-Resist Price

1145a-1215p Part 3: Off the Podium, Into The Firing Line: Breakout Session Q&A

- Star Alliance (United, Continental, US Air, Air Canada, Lufthansa among others)
    - oneworld (American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia among others)
    - Skyteam (Delta, Air France/KLM, Alitalia, Korean Air among others) and independents (Virgin, El Al, Emirates, Alaska among others)

1215-130p Lunch Break

AFTERNOON: BURNING

145p-245p Part 4: Putting A Value On Your Miles
    The Tipping Point: When to Redeem Awards and When to Buy a Ticket
    The Tipping Point 2: When to Use Award Tickets Vs. Upgrading Paid Tickets For Business Class
    OutSourcing Mileage: Off-The Radar, But On-Target Foreign-Based Mileage Program Awards

245p-355p Part 5: Award Redemption Strategies
    Is Israel in Asia or Europe?: Understanding Award Charts- Zones Vs. Mileage-Based
    Expanding The Reach of Your Award Ticket: Understanding Routing, Stopover and Open Jaw Rules
    Getting From 'No' To 'No Problem': The Art of Turning The Phone Agent Into Your Advocate...and Getting Your Hard-To-Book Award

355-405p Break

405-435p Part 6: Where Our Speakers Become YOUR Advocates: Breakout Session Q&A
    - Star Alliance (United, Continental, US Air, Air Canada, Lufthansa among others) (Gary)
    - oneworld (American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia among others) (Ben)
    - Skyteam (Delta, Air France/KLM, Alitalia, Korean Air among others) and independents (Virgin, El Al, Emirates, Alaska among others) (Steve)

435-515p Part 7: Randy Petersen- World's First and Foremost Frequent Flyer Guru: Surveys 30 Years Of Mileage Program History

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Reserved for something valuable later.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Stay tuned for more updates.

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in. I won't need a room since I'm local.

Shameless plug in the link below for BRT 11.

dh

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I will share in-person every trick I know to book award tickets.

I've booked over 80 million miles worth of awards in the past 12 months, all at the 'low' mileage level and over 99% in premium cabins. I've spoken to more CSRs than I care to think about. I've learned how to find seats and how to get agents to book the seats even when they don't see them. And if I know how to do it, I'll either share it in my talk or I'll share it in the Q&A. Not bad for $49 including meals and free drinks, eh?

Those Frequent Traveler Education Foundation folks are pretty nice, I'd say. Even though they aren't paying me to speak... Hey, maybe if they had bumped it up from $49 to $50 they could've afforded to buy me some miles or something? ;)

Dorlee, JohnnieD, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  8. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any chance of recording the sessions for those of us that are very interested but unable to come to NYC that day?

tahewett likes this.
  9. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frequent Traveler University - great idea and wish I could be there for the inaugural session, but already booked elsewhere. Please continue to offer these sessions if possible.

10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested! Count me in!:cool:
    Is there a special promo code for the Sheraton? Any special rates for Thurs. April 28?

FTUniversity likes this.
  11. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested. At this time I won't be reserveing a room at the Sheraton.

FTUniversity likes this.
  12. decerbodsubs
    Original Member

decerbodsubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excited to be part of this! Thanks. hotel not needed

Tenmoc and FTUniversity like this.
  13. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also interested! Thanks :)

FTUniversity likes this.
  14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely interested. Dont think I'll stay at Sheraton unless a truly great rate.

FTUniversity likes this.
  15. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds interesting. I'm in ATL but travel to NY frequently on business. Hopefully I can either add-on or come early if a trip coincides.

16. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely interested in attending, sounds like a great deal. I'm a bit of a newbie and looking forward to increasing my knowledge base. I won't need a hotel room.

FTUniversity and travelingmore like this.
  17. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pizzaman, you know already that I am definitely interested. I would also be interested in a room at the Sheraton for the Th and Fr nights.

FTUniversity likes this.
  18. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn! I live in NYC, but I'm going to be visiting family in MKE that weekend. Hopefully, there will be another opportunity.

This hotel is in Flushing, Queens which has a large Asian community. For anyone arriving early, Ocean Jewel at 133-30 39th Avenue (1 block west of the hotel) has excellent dim dum (better than anything I've found in Manhattan). Hong Kong Supermarket at 37-11 Main Street (1 block east and 1.5 blocks north of the hotel) is a large Chinese supermarket which is definitely worth a look.

Important Update:

My wife and I went to Flushing this past weekend, and I just want to let everyone know that Ocean Jewel has apparently changed its name to Asian Jewels. Same location, atmosphere and food - just the name has changed.

In addition, we discovered another supermarket, this time Korean, just a block further east from the restaurant down 39th Avenue. It's called Assi Plaza and the address is 131-01 39th Avenue.

Have fun!

19. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being of the belief that one can always learn more I am very interested in attending.
    The question will be for me is if it possible to make it work. Will post later when my committment is either firmly yes or no.

Since drink is included and I always ask when it is -- Is there a non-drinker rate?

20. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that Ocean Jewel is a great place. Good idea to stop off there beforehand for some bites.

21. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cost of the registration is not being put towards the drinks; that part of the event is being sponsored by someone else. Because of that we do not have a discounted rate for the non-drinkers.

FTUniversity and magic111 like this.
  23. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for answering. It is not a deal breaker.

FTUniversity likes this.
  24. Registration is now open!!

We look forward to welcoming everyone to the April 2011 session of Frequent Traveler University. Details about the itinerary, location and booking can be found at http://www.ftuniversity.com/.

If you've got any questions, just ask!

25. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice Avatar pic. Please tell us the back story and how you managed to a) Get in there and b) Not get thrown off the plance. [​IMG]