Eurowings, Germanwings, Tyrolean, Helvetic -- what about miles?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by LarryInNYC, Oct 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booking a trip to Budapest which requires a connection within Europe. I note that a surprising number of the connecting flights are on small airlines I've never heard of -- not the LCCs but rather what appear to be low-cost subsidiaries of the big carriers. None of these carriers show up on the mileage earning charts of other carriers (in this case specifically Aegean).

I assume that none of these carriers earn any miles at all on Aegean, which calculates miles based on the operating carrier, not the carrier who issued the ticket. Is this correct?

Luky Puji Rahayu and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Germanwings is a separate operation from Lufthansa. Tyrolean & Helvetic are more like a regional carrier the way SkyWest is to United.

I don't 100% know how Aegean will treat the different options, but I'd start with that frame of reference.

Newscience likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming from your moniker that you live in NYC, you could do what usually do to avoid the small airlines and I did three years ago when I went to BUD: I would fly into FRA (LGA-IAD-FRA) and then take LH, which has multiple daily flights to most major European cities for a few hundred dollars...It is a short hour and half hop to BUD from FRA.
    FRA-BD-LH.jpg

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! You should be able to find these flights on the English-language Lufthansa website:
    http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/homepage?nodeid=1649645&l=en&cid=1800

I use Lufthansa local flights whenever required to get from point A to point B in Europe, as I like those Star Alliance air miles! Lufthansa used to maintain a webpage for local European flights at www.lufthansa.com/belocal, but I just checked and it's been removed earlier this year. Good luck!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Germanwings is the LH equivalent of Singapore's SilkAir. Not part of Star Alliance.

If I recall correctly, Eurowings, a sister airline to Germanwings, is being folded into Germanwings.

Tyrolean is the end-stage UX that some people predict in that they now operate 100% of all Austrian flights.

http://www.tyrolean.at/Tyrolean/Fleet/OurFleet.aspx?sc_lang=de

"Die Austrian Airlines Group hat ihren Flugbetrieb in der 100 Prozent Tochter Tyrolean Airways gebündelt. Deshalb fliegt Austrian „operated by Tyrolean“."

I don't know about Aegean, but I had no problems getting UA MP miles for an Austrian flight operated by Tyrolean.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A surprising number of the connecting flights with Lufthansa numbers are actually codeshares on Germanwings or Eurowings. This mostly seem to be connect-in-Munich flights. The Frankfurt flights seem to be mostly Lufthansa metal. Found a nice itinerary from EWR with Frankfurt connections, all in H which will earn maximum miles on Aegean.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking again, I see the flights are marked as operated by Tyrolean DBA Austrian AIrlines, so I guess they're one and the same.

Newscience likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm aiming for an all Lufthansa itinerary if I can find one, the 1000 mile minimums for Lufthansa cross-border fares should net me almost 1500 extra Aegean miles.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Tyrolean = Austrian Airlines. I've flown them from IAD to VIE a few times, in both business class and coach seating (there is no first class seating in the older Austrian Airlines planes). This route is not flown every day of the week. The overall business class experience was quite variable, most recently with a new crew who were clearly learning the ropes (and their jobs). All in all, I'd recommend Austrian Airlines, but not over Lufthansa (admittedly my favorite). Other passengers have told me that Lufthansa now runs Austrian Airlines, but I'm unsure if that is the case or not. If so, expect many things about this airline to improve considerably. :D

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case my question is (or was -- I wound up an an all-Lufthansa itinerary) very specific: If the "operating carrier" was Tyrolean would Aegean post the miles as if they were Austrian Airlines or some other, non-partner airline (and thus, no miles). Since I assume this happens automatically, and since there's a reasonable chance their system will "see" the transaction the same way matrix.itasoftware does, that there's a non-zero chance that miles might not be awarded for that flight.

Newscience likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But since all Austrian flights are operated by Tyrolean, wouldn't that mean there's a non-zero chance that no one would receive any miles for Austrian flights in *A mileage programs? ;)

Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received Star Alliance miles for all my Austrian Airlines flights.

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Aegean is clear that they award miles based on the operating carrier, not the carrier who issued the ticket, nor the codeshare carrier on the flight. Is that generally true throughout Star Alliance? My (admittedly poorly supported) belief is that you usually get miles based on the carrier whose flight you "appear" to be booked on according the flight number on your ticket. In that case, all the flights I'm asking about are available on with either Austrian, SWISS, or Lufthansa flight numbers and ought to earn everywhere except Aegean.

Newscience likes this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must be miles from a particular Star Alliance carrier's program that you belong to, correct? Does that carrier credit based on flight number, or operating carrier?

In any event, I think the situation with Tyrolean & Austrian may be different than (say) Euro-Germanwings and Lufthansa.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct, as I outlined above. ;)

Newscience likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was that you usually get miles (if any) based on the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier.

For instance: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...s/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=625

This is UA's page about GermanWings (which I actually hadn't seen before).

It states that the award miles are based on the operating carrier.

Newscience likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So did I. My two flights were after Tyrolean took over operations from parent Austrian.

Newscience likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, LarryinNYC,
    At this point, I think that you have had all of your questions answered by the Wandering Aramean and HaveMilesWillTravel, but if it will further help you out, my air travel itinerary was purchased in advanced through United Airlines. All the best,
    Newscience

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In almost all scenarios *A earnings are dictated by operating carrier, not marketing carrier. For oneworld it is the opposite. SkyTeam is a mix of both last I looked.

Newscience likes this.
  21. EgorK

EgorK New Member

Status Points:
    There is 2 scenarios basically:
    1. Flight is operated by affiliate and only bears parent carrier flight number (and possibly some codeshare with other airlines, but not carrier's own flight number). Examples are Eurowings for Lufthansa, Tyrolean for Austrian, Blue1 for SAS and United Express airlines for United. This flights are Star Alliance flights and for all means are same as if it was parent carrier own flights.
    2. Flight is operated by affilate and bears that carrier flight number (as well as parent's carrier flight number as codeshare). Examples are Germanwings for Lufthansa and SilkAir for Singapore. This flights are not Star Alliance flights and, hence, no miles would be credited unless mileage program has operating carrier as partner