Europeans doing mileage runs?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Thomas, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomas
    Original Member

Thomas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys, I see that most of the users here are americans and I therefor want to ask the question if its worth it for us europeans to do milageruns?

It seems from the threads I have read that there isnt much to gain by doing these runs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My impression was that most European airlines are stingy with miles unless you're on a full fare. In that sense it might not be worth it. I know that on my preferred airline, United, I'm credited with at least as many miles as I flew, no matter the fare. Don't some European carriers give as few as 25% of the miles flown or even none?

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    On discounted fares, yes, some now give only 50 or 25%.....and some no segments either for such (or on alliance flights)

4. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Knowing that, then a MR might not be very cost effective. No one would do a MR run with a full fare ticket. It just doesn't make sense. Mileage runs are all about cost per mile.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am based in Brazil rather than Europe, however... if you have a US address and sign up for a US program using that address many MR become instantly attractive and fairly cheap if you're out of season or on a new route. Also some programs (FB for example) have periodic traget offers that get quite good beenfits.

It seems to me that MR for non-NA based people require more planning, but can be as, if not more, rewarding. Last year we had triple mileage and MQM for a trip that was 24,200 base miles. Mrs. JB and I both gained a two level status jump and lots of miles from that trip. The entire trip was on a deep-discount-business class fare. That fare is gone, but others sem to show up regularly.

I find I must monitor ExpertFlyer for every route that has interest for me.

wiredboy likes this.
  6. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

Europeans will also occasionally engage in segment runs. For example, on FB, even with its crappy earning rules, you get to be Gold for 30 segments, and this provides you with lounge access.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

7. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which airlines are you looking at?

On BA you can do mileage runs in Club Europe — the typical cheaper fares are from LGW to AMS. It is possible to do a complex itinerary over a weekend doing something like LGW/AMS/LGW/MAN/LGW/JER/LGW for example and get it for quite a cheap fare.

If traveling on a longhaul, sometimes it's a good idea to start from a Euro hub on BA to get the extra tier points — this can also be cheaper.

Also if traveling in Euro Traveler, see if there's an upgrade offer to CE. Normally one can be had for £100-£150, and that may be worth it for the extra tier points.

Thomas and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Thomas
    Original Member

Thomas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good input Ant, I will have a look at BA now. Previously I have been looking at SAS.

9. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two years ago, United was offering double EQMs for a while. At the same time they had a really cheap offer to Sydney. It was like winning the lottery!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is harder to find those gems when you're outside NA. Oddly I find many of the best ones are not even disclosed in my home market, and sometimes I need to use aVPN to find them on the foreign sites of the airline programs. For example, AA had bonus points a couple fo years ago for new flights from Brazil to US, but it was not on the Brazil,site, nor visible to Brazilians on the US site. Using my VPN I found it on the US site. The eligibility explicitly included origin in brazil.

The same sort of discrepancies sometimes happen between AF and KL sites and LH, LO sites. I am sure there are more examples. That is where the value of Expert Flyer is. It shows you what to look for.

11. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a milage run in january from BGO-ARN to EWR when SK had a double basic points campaign... This gave me almost 40K basic points in Y+, and I turned *Gold shortly after... But other than that, I'd do segmentruns in Europe...

12. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    The key point is that US airlines (unlike all other airlines in the world) give away all their business and first class seats on every flight if they are unsold, and in a very structured way - to their elites. BA, Lufthansa etc NEVER do this - they prefer to leave the premium cabins empty and preserve the value of the product (which makes sense, since few people actually pay for internal US business class these days).

So .... there is a desperate need in the US market to achieve / retain status by the year end. In Europe, it is less important. The main benefit in Europe of status is lounge access, and if you travel in business or first you get that anyway. Only people flying heavily in economy REALLY benefit from mileage (ie status, which is what we are talking about in reality) runs, and BA / LH etc have now made it easier to get that status via segments, which negates the value of a run even further.

You can do European segment runs cheaply. Last week I was pricing London-Dublin return, and Expedia threw out a Lufthansa routing of 5 segments for £150 (LON-MUC-FRA-DUB-FRA-LON I think. All in Y, and non-mile earning pretty much, but still worth 5 segments towards the 30 LH asks for Silver.

13. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    With double-miles-campaigns and a ticket in C there can be good MR-value also in Europe.
    Not cheap, but a nice trip in C together with a bunch of miles keeps me happy. [​IMG]