European rail operators enter long-distance bus sector

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Dec 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    European rail operators enter long-distance bus sector

Newscience likes this.
  2. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was kinda surprised by the fact when searching for train connections between Antwerp and Dusseldorf this week that the search query on Belgian & German railways sites popped up a result of a Deutsche Bahn bus connection between the 2 cities. Pretty decent in price too, about 56 euros for 2 people for return tickets. Bus ride would take about 3 hours.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me. Indeed, sometimes it's better to take a bus of instead a train, especially when the journeys are shorter, up to 3h to 4h.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the integration and use of buses by train operators has been going on and expanding for quite some time. If for example you want to visit Hampton Court Palace ( of Henry VIII fame) the most common way of getting there is to buy a rail ticket with SE trains (one of South England's major rail companies) take the train from Victoria to Clapham-Junction and then take what was a semi-local bus service to the Palace. From Clapham there were a number of buses services a myriad of local towns.
    It appears that SE has decided that buses are the way to go rather than maintaining service to Hampton Court.
    However, personally I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination classify the bus part of the journey as "efficient and reasonably smooth " certainly and as opposed to as in the past taking the train to Hampton Court station since it took well over an hour to
    travel 12 miles.

One major drawback of buses is that they much more susceptible to traffic conditions and I cant agree that they are more comfortable than trains even for 2 or 3 hour trips if only for the facilities ( restaurant cars, multiple bathrooms and luggage etc etc)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014