European Hotel Capacity

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Sep 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you guys ever had problems with room capacity limits?

I'm traveling to Paris in March with my wife and 2 young kids. All the hotels in the city have double occupancy, triple in a few circumstances, limits. I don't even bother looking at this in the states. Do you think the hotel would say anything to me if I let my kids sleep on the floor in a double occupancy room?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. These room limits are strictly enforced in much of Europe. Also, hotel rooms in major cities of Europe and Asia can be really small.

zshanlon likes this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    are you looking to use points at a perticular hotel? if so and if you have nay satatus at that hotel i would email the guest relations and ask if you book this room can they accomidate your family, I have had hotels from london to venice, tell me to book a standard room with points and then send them the confirmation number so they could make sure i was in a room that would accomide us (we are only 3). this lead to some pretty good upgrades.
    if you are plannign on spending 6+ days in paris i highly recommend getitng an apratment. we booked thru paris attitude and found a great 1000 SF 2 bdrom apt for 800 euros a week

zshanlon likes this.
  4. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even with enough space, European hotels are more troublesome than in the US. I booked a 2 room suite in Berlin and had to argue with them at the front desk to allow my 3 y.o. to sleep on the floor. They claimed there were fire codes that required them to register all guests.

Apartments are definitely a recommendation, but I've also just booked 2 double rooms and all sleep in the same room. I've heard some places will give a discount in this case.

zshanlon likes this.
  5. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you are willing to stay out of the city a bit, the Park Inn CDG has rooms with higher occupancy.

zshanlon likes this.
  6. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at some SPG hotels. Im also considering AirBnB. We may hop around europe a bit so I was curious what my options were.

7. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could always make them wait outside while I register then just sneak them in ;-D

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's unlikely that you will get away with this in most European hotels. Especially in Paris, there tends to be a single entrance so that everyone walks past the front desk/concierge on the way to the rooms, although the odds could be better in a big busy convention hotel, not the sort of place I would want to stay.

zshanlon likes this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

In part, it's related to fire code limits, which is one reason for reduced capacity. Most hotels are pretty old buildings. Don't put your kids at risk.

zshanlon likes this.