European/Factory/Tourist/Overseas Delivery Programs - Have you done this yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JSpira, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even amongst experienced travelers, the concept of European (Tourist/Factory/Overseas) Delivery is relatively unknown.

If you don´t know what it is, it´s ordering your car at a local dealership and picking it up at the factory in Germany or Sweden.

I´ve done E.D. with BMW about a dozen times but a few weeks ago, I did E.D. with Mercedes-Benz for the first time.

Leaving choice of vehicle aside, there are a few benefits that Mercedes offers that BMW does not. These include one night at a luxury hotel (choice of 14, with the exception of the Stuttgart hotel, most are true luxury properties) and two taxi vouchers (covering airport to hotel and hotel to Mercedes).

BMW offers a 2-for-1 airfare with Lufthansa and a special redelivery program in Spartanburg, S.C. which includes a driving school and overnight lodging.

Mercedes gives you a full tank of fuel (not possible at the BMW Welt due to fire department regulations for the indoor low-oxygen storage) and waives the delivery fee ($875). You also get a 65,- € voucher for food at the Mercedes-Benz restaurant.

BMW gives you 15,- € for food (but they have a lot of food in the Premium Lounge as well) and 10,- € for gifts in the gift shop.

Both BMW and Mercedes-Benz have a very active factory delivery program and the Mercedes-Benz Kundencenter in Sindelfingen is capable of 400 deliveries per day.

Perhaps in part thanks to BMW´s ,,Hollywood Staircase``, Mercedes has added a wide, sweeping staircase at the Kundencenter (it will be in use soon) that customers will descend.

A big difference is the building. The architecture of the BMW Welt is such that it competes for attention with your new car. The Kundencenter is much more low key (think in terms of the Freimann delivery center but more luxurious) and the car is clearly the star.

MB pricing is generally fixed at a 7% discount but the discount covers options also, not just the base price of the car. BMW´s official discount only covers the base price of the car, not options, but many dealers are far more open to negotiation.
    A complete report of my experience (with four slide shows at the end) is online here for those who are interested.

A few Fotos from my delivery a few weeks ago at the Kundencenter are below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been that it is very important to work with a dealer that is experienced in European delivery. Some know nothing about it and are not very interested in learning, so that they would almost rather not sell a car this way.

Be sure to allow enough lead time to set this up.

IME the pricing system is different for USA off the dealer's lot or what the dealer has already ordered versus European delivery in terms of how the dealer's commissions are calculated--i.e., is most of the profit from the options or the base car model--but your final price is pretty similar. Also, don't forget that since the dealer does profit from European delivery cars, they should treat you the same as if you had purchased a car from their lot in terms of service appointments and perks such as loaner vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know several people who have done this with Volvo and been very happy. Even though we live in the UK, the bought US-spec vehicles, picked them up in Sweden, then drove back to the UK. Several have purchased XC90's and save a fair amount of money.

:)

4. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have included the following paragraph about pricing in my original post, and I am adding it above, but I also wanted to post it separately to provide further clarification.