European Christmas Markets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wcblack34, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I'm not going to make it to any of them this year, I hope to take my mother to Europe next year to see a few of the Christmas Markets.

My questions:

Which ones have you been to?
    Which ones were your favorites?
    Any pictures to share?

2. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...And now I see the other thread :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, In which country? Christmas Markets are very popular in Germany, Austria and northern Italy, but not limited to this country.
    Also view this post

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go small.

The big markets have big crowds and lose a bit of the seasonal love IMO. I did Mainz and Nuremberg this year. Mainz was smaller and much nicer IMO.

5. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seth I read your review of Christmas Markets and agree regarding Nuremberg. We visited the main market in the morning and it was delightful. I picked up a few unique toys for small children there. We went back in the evening and could not get out of there fast enough. We decided to visit the artisans market which is several blocks from the main Christmas Market but right across the street from the train station. We joked that we ate and drank our way through the markets. I can agree that it is the atmosphere not the products that are the draw at the markets. Last year, the only purchase I made at 10-12 markets was a much needed hat and of course food. I find the local artisan markets better for shopping. There is a size able one on the south ring in Vienna. Found several lovely purchases there this year, but again not many crowds.

I have to say I love Christmas Markets!