Europe

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by JohnL, Jan 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. I am looking for a great hotel in Paris and looking for additional cities to go to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  2. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    London, Paris and Rome.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, London or how about Florence or Budapest. All are great cities and offer some stunning hotels too, plus lots of art and culture.

sobore likes this.
  4. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    great hotel in Paris.... in what price range? Four Seasons George V, is great (if you search there are many thread) but also the cost is great

5. Booking George V and thinking of Rome for a few days but am wondering if I should stay in France and tour around it or go to other countries. I have from the 1st-25th of July

6. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's loads of great cities you can visit in France, like Versailles, where you can go see the Palace, or you could go to the south of France, Marseilles, Montpelier, however I would recommend flying as otherwise it would take around 6 hours, unless you don't mind taking a train, which could be a nice way to see France.

7. yes going to versasiles from paris and thinking of provence but would I waste too much time in france when there is san sebastian so close and berlin

8. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember 14 july is "Bastille Day" an advantage or a nightmare, depending on your tastes

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rome is a wonderful city if you are looking for a capital.
    On this forum I posted a report on the Hassler which is generally considered one of the top 3 luxury hotels in Rome.

Venezia is another great choice. At the moment the Aman there is highly praised.

As others have mentioned Budapest is wonderful as well and has one of the top Four Seasons in Europe. Same for Prague. And Firenze.

If you want to do some serious shopping Milano is always fun. In Milano you have the choice of the Four Seasons, the Park Hyatt, and some people praise the Armani Hotel which is in the same building as the Armani store and Nobu as well as the Armani Privilege Disco. Your call on if this is a plus or minus.

Paris I personally couldn't recommend anything more than the Four Seasons George V- and if you really want to splurge a duplex suite here is outstanding and bordering on worth the money :).

There are a lot of ideas if you can narrow down what you are looking for and fortunately a number of very very good hotels.

uggboy likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We seem to get at least one per week of these vague (and remarkably similar in tone and content) questions where the OP provides absolutely no information as to his
    interests etc etc etc :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. NewBlueSea How about Paris and Rome for museums, wine and food. I love to eat very well and love to try some wines to bring home. I also want to try some cheeses and of course see some grand museums and historical artefacts.

12. Yes but Budapest is in the early stages of travel

13. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm biased but Berlin is great and July should have nice weather. Recommend a Linden or Brandenburg Suite at the Adlon.

uggboy likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it's a beautiful city to visit, incl. the castle, along the Danube, gorgeous during the summer months, plus Budapest offers some wonderful hotels incl. The Gresham Palace, A Four Seasons Hotel, the Le Merdien, The IC Budapest or the Kempinski Corvinus, which is a member of LHW, on castle hill there's the Hilton Budapest which gives fantastic views over the Danube towards the Parliament house. Highly recommended.

iolaire, TRAVELSIG and sobore like this.
  15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any language issues in Budapest? Is English widely spoken in the city?

uggboy likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not any more language issues than you will find in many European capitals. English is widely spoken.

uggboy likes this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Particularly the Four Seasons Gresham Palace uggboy is stunning if you get a room overlooking the Chain Bridge.

uggboy likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    ?

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Budapest has been a travel destination for a long time. During soviet times it was a destination that both Soviet state citizens and non-Soviet state citizens could visit, so for example East and West German families would meet there. To this day it still has a lot of tourism, but it generally its Eastern Europeans, so it’s not as crowded with English speaking tourists. To me (an American) the Eastern European tourists are indistinguishable from the locals.

Budapest has great public transportation, biking, metered taxies, drinkable public fountains, a Spa culture and a strong local cuisine as well as many European and international style dining options.

I cannot comment on if it has a developed expensive/high end travel provider infrastructure.

We had no issues whatsoever.

uggboy likes this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto, we had no issues at all with English in Budapest.

21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a beautiful hotel, but very expensive, far more so then any other hotel in the city, we stayed at the Kempinski Corvinus and the Hilton Budapest on Castle Hill, overall we had only good experiences and enjoyed our visit to Budapest. We had however drinks and some Hungarian cakes at the Gresham Palace, A Four Seasons Hotel. Yes, a great hotel, but the high cost has to be taken into consideration, I would also recommend the Marriott, the IC, Sofitel Chain Bridge, which are all located by the Chain bridge and beside the Danube.

22. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the poster has abandoned this user ID and moved on to (yet) another one.

23. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

uggboy likes this.
  24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    +2 :D

HotelLover likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it.

I just thought it was a very strange comment to say that Budapest is in the early stages of travel.

If you want to say that about the East coast of Sri Lanka for example or certain areas of Myanmar- makes sense- but Budapest??

uggboy likes this.