Europe During the Holidays

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by dhilk3785, Feb 19, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. dhilk3785

dhilk3785 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello! I'm new to the community and award travel in general, so I'm looking for a bit of help. My wife and I want to go to Europe over the holidays this year, just before Christmas to just after the New Year, and we live in Utah. We're looking at spending a couple days each in Edinburgh, London, Paris, Lucerne, and somewhere in Germany with a great Christmas Market.

The natural tendency for SLC would have been to start focusing on Delta Skymiles, but instead we went with the AAdvantage MC with a 60k miles sign-up bonus. Up to March 21 this year, that's enough to buy a round trip plus a one-way to Europe from SLC, so we were pretty excited about that.

However, we're looking at booking flights before they change the cost to redeem and all of the transatlantic MileSAAver awards seem to be on British Airways, with their ridiculous Fuel Surcharges, regardless of our destination. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how get different MileSAAver flights to show up or how to access other ones so we're not paying $700 each ticket in Fuel Surcharges.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got blinded by the appeal of the points costs and ignored the total costs of the awards. Oopsie.

If AA doesn't make award seats available there's not much you can do to avoid the feed given the points you've chosen to focus on.

Also, with that schedule you'll need to do Germany before Christmas if you want to see the markets. Make sure your itinerary accounts for that. Most likely that means Germany/Switzerland first and working back towards the UK. Which also means paying the APD (~$110 IIRC) for departing the UK on an airplane.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Your fuel surcharges will be highest going through LHR. Look at partners like Air Berlin or Finnair. You may need to call to find the best availability. Also, consider smaller hubs like PHL to depart from US.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just flew back LHR - LAX on AA using AA Offpeak. The taxes/fee came out to $285 for 2 people (This was LIN - LHR - LAX).

Not too bad if that's your only choice. Just need to get AA metal on the Trans-Atlantic route.