Europcar Manchester (UK) Airport Experience

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by thomas199023, Oct 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thomas199023

thomas199023 Silver Member

There was a massive Queue for the rental counter. While there were several employees running around it seemed to take ages for the queue to move. I waited in line for exactly 25 minutes before being helped. As a Europcar Privilege Elite I would have at least hoped for a line pass/short cut but this was reserved only for "corporate".

At Checkin the clerk was not very friendly at all, he did not recognize my Privilege Elite status nor make any friendly remark either. The rental agreement form and keys were not ready so it took another 10 minutes for him to write (by hand) a rental agreement, with no mention of what car I would get etc.

I booked a CDMR e.g. Golf and got a CCMR Hyundai I30 (which in my opinion is not in the same class as a Golf) so did not get the "we’ll upgrade your car – free" Privilege Elite benefit.

When I brought the car back, they tried to charge me for a scratch that was already on the car. And was also already booked into the system. The Clerk even brought out a accident form, even tough I many times tried to inform him that this was existing damage. He eventually looked it up in the system and indeed he saw it was already marked. Not an excuse or anything.

I will think twice about renting from this location in the future. I switched from Sixt to Europcar a few months back, but in Manchester will have to go back to Sixt or Hertz.
    redtailshark likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Thanks for the alert. Like many of us, I loathe being ripped off by car rental companies and I have to do business with them all the time, all over the world. Some of their tricks are really rodent-like and this charging for existing scratches gig is among the worst.

That's enough info for me to know, I will never rent from EuropCar at MAN.
    thomas199023 likes this.