eUpgrades and anonymous generosity

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a couple more weeks we have the ability to upgrade anyone, whether we know them or not, on the same flight as us as long as we have the appropriately coloured paper. Once March 1st roles around the game changes. Es and SEs can nominate 2 and 4 people, respectively, who they can then bestow upgrades on.

With paper upgrades I was able to grab that anonymous person in the boarding area, walk up to the podium and potentially get them a ride in the front of the bus. Since I've spent the last year or so primarily travelling alone in J without the need to use certs, it because pretty obvious that this was the best use of my certs. I have to say that it was really cool to see a very deserving (3+ tours in Afghanistan as a sniper) corporal with 21 years in the CF get giddy like a child on his birthday.

I've spent a lot of time going through the rules of the eUpgrades system and the process of upgrading within that system. I've yet to figure out how I'm going to be able to replicate these types of upgrades.

So my question to all of you is this: is there a way that any one has figured out whereby we can, if we choose, still gift these types of spontaneous upgrades?

milchap likes this.
  2. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you'll be able to beg the Gate Agent? :confused:

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Besides trying to have a convincing story, I can recall giving CSRs pins, candy and nice written feedback.

5. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that you can upgrade anyone flying on the same flight as you. The list is only those people who you can upgrade that are not traveling on your flight. So you simply need to find out there details and then ask the agent to use your credits for their upgrade.

ACMM and janyyc like this.
  6. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I read that they needed to be on the same PNR.

Update: This is what it says on the website.
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/upgrades/eupgrades/share.html
    Your eUpgrade Travel Companion
    You can use your eUpgrade Credits to request an upgrade for yourself as well as for one Travel Companion who is travelling on the same reservation with you.

Not sure if this will be enforced or not, but it may cause difficulties in terms of providing an anonymous eupgrade at the last minute. I've provided these kinds of upgrades myself in the past, and sometimes also upgraded colleagues at the airport (who I realized at the last minute were on the same flight as me). I hope they're flexible with this.[​IMG]

7. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    That's disappointing. This may have been discussed on FT prior to the official terms, but what I previously understood was, it meant the same flight; however, the term reservation would seem to imply that it is actually the same PNR. Sounds like that when I end up on the same flight as a business colleague I won't have the flexibility to extend them the courtesy of an upgrade.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A linked PNR may end up being sufficient. But it looks like we really need to wait to find out (though not very long now).

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I Mar 2011 Historic Day

eCerts go into effect

Mile Point goes live [​IMG]

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    and both will make our lives easier ;)

cockpitvisit, janyyc and tomh009 like this.
  11. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or so we hope... ;)

ACMM likes this.
  12. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well MP is certainly making my posting easier already. I have to say I've really become used to the "alerts" and the layout here. As for e-upgrades, the jury is still out; I agree completely.

ACMM likes this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So who's copying whom? [​IMG]

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shall we call it a draw and enjoy both? :)