?EU regs about compensation for delayed baggage

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by estnet, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was booked on UA in business (ug) ord-iad-fco. due to UA mechanical issues was rerouted UA (c) - ord-muc then LH economy muc-fco. UA messed up the luggage and assured me they would pay for expenses, replacement clothes, etc. However, upon return UA says the last carrier is responsible and I have to deal with LH.
    I have status with UA but none with LH - dealing with LH has been a paperwork nightmare with lots of paperwork required and hopeless customer service. I was refused ANY compensation by LH agent at FCO (LH admits they've had lots of complaints about this) for incidental expenses on arrival. Bags were delayed 3 days and I had important meeting 1st night so had to buy clothes, shoes, etc. after landing 8 hours late and therefore having to spend time I wanted to rest out shopping (rant over)
    So - is there any simple compensation that would be required per day of delay that I should be able to claim without wasted more days of my life on LH paperwork?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not simple but if you persist and you send in all your receipts you should get reimbursed for your expenditure. (Capped at ~€1500)

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - my costs aren't that high but I though I had read that there was a set amount like 250e the first day then 150 or something like that each subsequent day at a minimum. Would be worth it to me to not have to deal with all the hassle.

4. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think FCO is really the problem but that's not the point. Are you flying through MUC or FRA any time soon? I've had lost luggage on LH an impressive 6 times last year (not always their fault) and handeling the claim at the airport (FRA in my case) was alaways sucessful and relatively painless. I don't think ther is a minimum but what they told me is they reimburse 100% of toiletries and 50% of clothing/shoes with the explanation that you are keeping the goods. There is a daily cap but I'm not sure what it is, I thought I remember hearing 100 EUR per day but that could be off.

5. apioca

apioca Active Member

Status Points:
    When LH lost my bag into PEK they immidiately paid out RMB2000 no questions asked and no receipts wanted. This was on the spot in PEK airport. Y-class FTL status

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    No - not planning to be at FRA or MUC, but good to know. It is really a pain having to spend about 20 hours so far tracking the bag, etc. FCO is DEFINITELY the problem - and LH knows it (per my conversations with LH) but apparently can't or won't do anything about it.
    Oh well - if this is the worst I have to complain about I lead a charmed life

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - when I had a delayed bag in SIN I was immediately paid a small amount (somewhere around $100 I think) and told if expenses exceeded this to submit receipts. I think the real problem is their agent at FCO (who I wish they would fire!)

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    FCO in general is not the most pleasant airport to deal with.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is an understatement!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  10. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is EU compensation for lost baggage (1220 euro) per bag or per occurrence?