EU approves IAG purchase of Bmi

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by uggboy, Mar 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    EU approves IAG purchase of Bmi:)

Great news for IAG and we will see how it all comes together!:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From BMI e-mail:

Dear MDDCFlyer,
    We’d like to advise you that the EU Competition Authority has today approved the sale of bmi to IAG. We are very aware that Diamond Club members want to know what will happen to their accounts when bmi is acquired by British Airways.
    The deal between bmi and British Airways is due to be completed around 20 April 2012. We would like to reassure you that we plan to operate our summer schedule as normal and you can continue to earn and redeem Diamond Club miles during this period.
    We are working together to announce a Diamond Club partnership with British Airways. This will include the ability to earn and redeem Diamond Club destinations miles across the bmi and BA networks.
    We will be communicating regularly with you as more information becomes available and flybmi.com will also be updated with the latest information.
    Regards
    [​IMG]
    Keeley Downing
    Diamond Club Manager

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the same email. If anything I hope BD will be integrated to BA and then I would be able to use the miles to redeem on CX.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/0417192-british-airways-starts-selling-bmi-flights

British Airways starts selling Bmi flights
    British Airways has started selling “selected” Bmi flights to destinations in Africa and central Asia through its website.
    The move comes just days after the European Commission cleared the way for BA’s parent company IAG to buy Bmi from Lufthansa.

[​IMG]
    BA is now codesharing on Bmi flights to six destinations: Yerevan (Armenia), Baku (Azerbaijan), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Tbilisi (Georgia), Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Freetown (Sierra Leone).
    The flights can be booked through ba.com for travel from tomorrow, Apr 5.

jbcarioca and ralfkrippner like this.
  5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That probably will not happen until they dissolve Diamond Club and convert to AvioPesos, I think initially we will only be able to redeem flights on BA metal only.

jbcarioca and ralfkrippner like this.
  6. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my impression, too. Booking of *A tickets will only be possible up untill April 18. From then on a few days where you can only book bmi flights. And then maybe from some time in May we should be able to also book BA flights, still with the bmi award table.

At some point in summer or autumn I guess DC will be closed and moved into BA executive club, probably with status and miles conversion 1:1.

If it comes true this way, there might be a phase where booking BA tickets with cash+miles might be very interesting.

But of course I could be completely wrong...

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I got in the e-mail:

cennas and jbcarioca like this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I actually got the email but didn't bother to read it. Turns out it's not all bad news :)

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange that LH communicated a different message to MIles&More members in terms of dates etc (message below is posted at :
    http://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...news/detail?nodeid=544022818&l=en&cid=1000273

Miles & More ends its cooperation with bmi

11/04/2012

With effect from 19 April 2012, Miles & More’s cooperation with bmi will end by mutual agreement. This is the result of the sale of bmi to IAG and the consequent withdrawal of bmi from the Lufthansa Group.

As of that date earning miles on bmi flights will unfortunately no longer be possible. Until then the current terms shall apply.

Miles & More flight awards issued prior to this date can be used as planned on bmi flights.

Status-related benefits on bmi flights can still be used until 31 May 2012.

If you have any additional questions, please contact your Miles & More Service Center.

10. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here we a week later and very little wiser.

There has bee no further announcement from bmi. A post on TOBB from a bmi insider suggesting bmi will not join OW, and that after 31 May DC miles will only be good for redemption on BD as an unalligned carrier that will probably disappear by the end of summer.

No conversion of DC miles to Avios.

No status match offers from anyone.

Meanwhile the presumptive severance of the LH group today means on one hand that M&M FTLs no longer have any lounge access at LHR, and on the other that DC members are wondering if routing rules can be bent to allow flights LHR to Europe via LIS or IST using the remaining *A carriers for redemption before the end of May...

We live in interesting times.