1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps because half the Star Alliance is in direct competition with them for flights to and from Europe and Asia?

I think that's why the DJ (and limited NZ) EY cooperation pacts make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Etihad also partners with a North American airline (like JetBlue and EK did) and a South American airline like AeroArg or LAN outside the boundaries of a full alliance. Plus, they're a prime candidate to pick up VS. I should also think that one of the unpartnered Chinese airlines would be a good match: Hainan, perhaps?

3. Peachy3
    Original Member

Peachy3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Middle Eastern carriers have no need for joining an alliance with the amount of traffic they are getting. The long routes are covered with less taxes and a direct transit through the middle east. It's simply like posted above, the connections once people have landed on the peripheral areas.

Although, if EY is going to join star alliance. YES PLEASE =)

ThatJohn likes this.
  4. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also think that there are situations where they do want long-distance feeder traffic, like the VA and DJ example, or an airline that's a good 8+ hour flight from the Gulf. Little cannibalisation, but multiple benefits.

5. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    DJ/NZ alliance certainly has brought them to prominence here in Australia... if DJ were to join *A... who knows. Qatar is pretty cosy with *A carriers too.. as to whether any middle eastern carriers are ready to join?

6. Peachy3
    Original Member

Peachy3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think DJ joining * is like JQ joining OW. No, please!
    Who in their right mind would want to fly DJ with it's no service budget economy and no premium?
    I still don't think any of the middle eastern carriers will bail soon (EY, QR, EK), and I certainly hope DJ don't randomly get into * (Although we still have that Egyptian carrier don't we... always forget it's name...whatever!)

7. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, DJ compares pretty favorably across the Tasman. Apart from EK's flights to AKL (okay, fine, plus LAN and AeroArg) and very few NZ flights to AKL that use 744s and 772s (and eventually 77Ws), there's no business class competition to Qantas.

NZ has its dreadful seat/seat+bag/works/works deluxe nonsense (not that I dislike it or anything), where "works deluxe" is just a middle seat free next to you in normal Y for the price of a business fare. JQ is the other competitor here.

Plus, John Borghetti has been dropping careful hints for ages about DJ's great big rename and attack on Qantas' business class business.

8. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would when I am feeding from HBA to SYD/MEL to continue on *A and v.v. Why should I pay QF for ever decreasing level of service? They even stopped interlining baggage now, so there is no more any reason paying double for QF on my short hops to catch up with long hauls?

And DJ is not your typical LCC and wait for March and lots of new announcements.

kiwi, Chimpy and ThatJohn like this.
  9. What's the alternative? At the moment *A has no coverage within Australia at all. If you're not flying internationally to a major city, you're out of luck. Plus as others have pointed out, DJ is not like a normal low cost airline and it's certainly way ahead of JQ. Plus with the much rumoured changes it's likely we'll see it become much more like a full service carrier.

10. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that it would be great for Australia to have a domestic carrier in the *A. Certainly a good way to build up my *A points.
    I have found on the short domestic flights that I have had a far more pleasant flight on DJ over QF. The planes are generally newer and cleaner.

11. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I do not mind their more casual approach at all. I still very fondly remember old good Lauda Air (NG) and crew in jeans and red golf caps so typical for Niki. I was on their inaugural B777 flight and will always cherish the memory of being on flightdeck while flying over Australia with Niki as my host...

Chimpy likes this.