Etihad operated by Alitalia - luggage sacked,miles missing and the worst customer service I've seen

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Middle East/Africa' started by airhead, Jul 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. airhead

airhead Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,
    I have a lot of flights on my tap, but this is something I've experienced for the first time.
    I bought a ticket from the Etihad website from Sofia to Abu Dhabi, through Rome. It turned out the whole flight is operated by Alitalia. So far I've managed to steer away from Alitalia for good, but now there was nothing to be done.

I arrived safely to AUH and took my luggage, but when I went to the hotel I found out the zipper on one of my bags is broken. Later when I opened it I found out it's not a random zipper problem, but my suitcase has been broken into and I have items missing from it. It was quite professional to be honest, the zipper looked perfect from the outside, the only problem was that it couldn't open.
    I filed a claim from Etihad website and nothing happened. I filed a claim on alitalia as the flight was operated by them and nothing from them also. I went to a Etihad center in Abu Dhabi mall, they said they cannot do anything since I filed a claim online. 3 weeks passed I lost hope, I went and fixed my suitcase and out of the blue, 26 days after filing the claim they send me an email wanting tickets, boarding passes, luggage tickets and pictures of the suitcase. I sent them this, 3 days so far no answer from Etihad.
    In the meantime Alitalia contacted me also 2 weeks after filing with them and said they'll have someone get in touch with me soon, 2 weeks passed and nothing.
    On top of this drama I didn't have my miles accredited, even though in the reservation it's clear that my etihad guest number is attached.

Soo I guess it's more of a question, do you have any idea or recommendation on how I can proceed with this or I should just do my best never to fly those 2 again and forget about any kind of retribution on my stolen stuff?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a tough one. Cannot comment on the miles credit problem
    1) I think you are going have a very hard time getting anything out of this. if you say the zipper looked fine when the bag arrived how are going to prove it was damaged during the trip?
    2) Proving items were removed from the bag is almost impossible (although if there was some visible external damage it may/would have strengthened your case)
    That's exactly the reason why the airlines tell you not to pack valuables
    3) The best time to report damage/loss to luggage is before leaving the airport so you can get ground staff to document your claim.
    4) All airlines take months not a few days to process baggage claims. BA and AB for example is notoriously bad about this.

Unless your loss is quite significant I would just chaulk it up to bad luck.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    BTW, Etihad now owns 49% of Alitalia, so no surprise the Etihad ticketed flight was operated by AZ. You should be earning Etihad guest miles.

4. Jimjardine

Jimjardine Active Member

Status Points:
    Check your credit card for lost baggage insurance.
    Look at the coverage on the card thar you bought the ticket on. I had a pair of bluetooth headphones stole from checked AA baggage. I filed a claim with AA, AA didn't help but the credit card company accepted my AA claim and paid me for them.

5. jcsjcs

jcsjcs Active Member

Status Points:
    A while back Alitalia had a big problem with baggage handlers routinely breaking open suitcases and removing items. There was a big sting operation about one or two years ago where hidden camera footage was published showing whole groups of baggage handlers working together.

Frankly I'd be surprised if that problem had been solved entirely.

I think you should have filed a report with the police in parallel to reporting the issue to the airline.

JCS.

6. Bearrrwillie

Bearrrwillie Member

Status Points:

Alitalia have to be one of the poorest run airlines in Europe. I only used them once and never again and that was 10 years ago on a round trip to Malta via Rome. You were lucky to get your bag back. On my return leg my bag never ever arrived back in London. It took a great deal of time but as I had travel insurance I did get fully compensated for what was lost financially. Dealing with the airline was VERY slow but the insurance company were rather better and in a few weeks I had what I thought was a generous cheque in the post. Some many months later after numerous compliant letters to Alitalia they also sent me a cheque out of the blue which surprised me. I guess persistence paid off in this instance. I was advised by an Italian contact that theft from bags and the entire bag is not uncommon and it is run by criminal gangs. If you have the energy, persistent non stop letters of compliant may see a result as it did in my case, as I was rather outraged by the entire bag being "lost" despite being labelled inside and out. Good luck.

7. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    to be honest after Etihad entered Alitalia is getting developing even the interior of the cabins. These kind of problems happened happen and will happen always everywhere with any airline, so be patient i am pretty sure they ll answer you. i wish for you that you missing items aren t that expensive i am not sure they will pay a big thing!! but about miles while flying AZ you can earn Etihad guest or MilleMiglia miles Good Luck.

BossWass, MoufidaLAA and ProfEssaied like this.