Ethiopian fares crazy high?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by clscholes, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am booking for a small group traveling to the Tigray province in Ethiopia. We went this summer, and the fare was around 160 a person, booked by someone in Ethiopia. I am seeing the same flights at over 500 US a piece...what gives? Suggestions?

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    From?

3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    From ADD to SHC (Shire) or from ADD to Axum, or ADD to Gondar...all are puddle jump flights, but without taking the flight, can be 2-3 day overland trips, or an hour flight...and the prices I am seeing are starting at 475 and going up through 600.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    How big is your group? Perhaps your group is larger than the available number of cheap fares?

5. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Doesn't Ethiopian airlines also have local fares vs fares sold abroad? You may want to check with your contact in Ethiopia. (I don't think foreigners are supposed to get access to the local fares, but with a bit of flexibility, anything is possible I'm sure)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

iolaire likes this.
  6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked...our group is 4, so low fares are not the problem. The problem is that Ethiopian has gone to a three tiered system now. Local, International on Ethopian, and foreign. the same flight is 160, 325, and 600. Not cool.

7. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ethiopian's international fares are more expensive, but you almost have to use them because of the surcharge for NOT using them.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an interesting approach to subsidization, for sure.

9. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I did find is I can get the fare for 350 through Expedia, and I may have to be happy with that. Still really, really expensive for the equivalent of MCI-ORD, but sometimes you have to play it like that. For me, it is a great time to burn my United miles. For the other folks, it sucks.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or segmentation. Can't fill planes with price insensitive intl travelers, and local market more price sensitive.

anileze likes this.
  11. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, so I burned United miles for my ticket, and booked the Expedia rate for the rest after hearing back from several Ethiopian sources that they were unable to book a workaround fare. I guess my United miles got put to good use, even though I wasn't crazy about using them...United suggested that I could pay 903 dollars for the same booking in cash, so I guess that makes my 25,000 miles through their site worth 3.6 cpm (even though they are only worth 1.4 cpm for the Expedia fare).