Ethiopian Airlines Jet Hijacked by Co-Pilot

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by traveltoomuch, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/e...-hijacked-co-pilot-geneva-airport-boss-n31916

My questions: since the pilots presumably had an overnight layover in Rome, why not just fly into Italy and then take a commercial flight, take a train, or hire a car to drive over the border into Switzerland? You likely have 20ish hours before anyone notices that you're missing. Second: why the drama of a hijack; wouldn't you first try to make up some other excuse to divert?

WilliamQ, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pilot of an international airline... I'd like to see that asylum application. Would it be processed after he spends 20 years in prison, or concurrently?

3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    On this flight, they did not stop in Rome. It was, essentially, non-stop to GVA. Had they stopped in FCO then presumably they would have had more fuel - instead they landed with less than 10 minutes left. Someone else can probably explain the diversion question better... but usually the company will tell pilots when and where to divert to. The company may have just told the pilots to land in Rome anyway.

It was definitely interesting following this on Twitter, LiveATC and FlightRadar24 last night.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem like an educated fellow so I'm not going to :rolleyes: at you.

I would hope that you realized ET702 is scheduled service between ADD and FCO so the diversion to GVA was not planned at all by the company. The First Officer decided to hijack his own flight and overflew Rome directly to Geneva because the FO was thinking that the Swiss Authorities would give him asylum. At this point the company nor the cabin crew nor the passengers could have done anything to prevent this hijacking since it was one of the flight deck crewmembers doing it. GVA was intentional on the part of the First Officer's choice.

traveltoomuch, WilliamQ and MSYgirl like this.
  5. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been on this flight. It is the return of the nonstop from IAD. It stops in Rome for fuel, so the overnight doesn't happen.

LETTERBOY, WilliamQ and MSYgirl like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're thinking of a different flight as this one does Addis Ababa to Rome to Milan while ET500 flies Addis Ababa to Rome to Washington Dulles on the 777.

WilliamQ and MSYgirl like this.
  7. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:

Gotcha. My mistake.

8. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    Yes, I know all of that, and I appreciate you not :rolleyes: at me. However, perhaps you misunderstood my answers or traveltoomuch's questions.
    He had two questions:
    1) why wouldn't the pilot just go to Switzerland after his overnight in Rome. In this particular case, there was no overnight in Rome, as the flight "turned into" a non-stop flight to GVA
    2) Why they didnt just make up an excuse to divert. My answer to that is that it is usually the company's decision as to where to divert to. The FO on this flight knew he wanted to go to GVA thus did not make up an excuse for diverting.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This pilot is toast. He committed a crime for whatever reason in order to seek asylum! He must not have been thinking clearly because now he will first be treated as a hijacker and be convicted, before they consider his application for asylum, if they even bother...

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the whole point was that the hijacking wasn't needed since the copilot was presumably SCHEDULED to overnight in Rome, thus could have bailed there.

(whether he would have been able to enter Switzerland without a Visa I don't know. Doubt it.)

traveltoomuch likes this.
  11. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points: