eStandby Upgrade vs Gold Elite Onproperty Benefits

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Horse, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just recently booked at a Hilton Hotel and was given some upgrade options for a fee at time of booking and then again via email at a later time. Is this a waste of money even though the paid upgrade options are cheaper than the cost of selecting that type of room when initially booking? And do hotels that do this don't bother upgrading you even if you have status but you declined to pay for an upgrade? Since I'm already getting free breakfast (Great Getaway promo), should I go for the points or do I have a shot at the free room upgrade?

As HH Gold, I know I can select either:
    1-Receive a space-available room upgrade, including breakfast.
    2-Earn 1,000 Hilton HHonors® bonus points per stay.

With eStandy Upgrades, I was given the option to pay for:
    $5 High Floor Request, 11th Floor or Above
    $9 Pool View Request
    $15 King Bed, PURE Room
    $19 1 King Bed Disney View, PURE Room
    $19 Connecting Door Request
    $79 Waldorf Deluxe King, 448 sq. ft.
    $129 Waldorf Deluxe Suite w/ Balcony, 945 sq. ft.
    $139 Hilton Suite, 1,255 sq. ft.
    $199 Waldorf Luxury Suite, 1, 460 sq. ft.

How eStandby® Upgrades Work:
    1 Select each eStandby® opportunity below that interests you, then click the "Continue" button.
    2 Find out at check-in if you are awarded an eStandby Upgrade® or any combination of Xtra Offers.
    IF YES
    You agree to pay the additional amounts stated below for your award(s).
    IF NO
    You will stay in the room you originally booked and pay nothing extra.

I also realized that some of the options included upgrades to the neighboring hotel. Does that mean if you have status, you would normally be considered for upgrades to that other better hotel?

2. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    My two cents on this is that normally (absent overbooking at the lower hotel) you would not be considered for upgrades to the better hotel, regardless of status level.

E-standby confirms your place in line for a room upgrade. Basically you can jump the line of people checking in with status (whom did not do e-Standby) by paying a fee earlier. I have always wondered if e-standby makes more sense for people whom are checking in late as opposed to earlier.....but I have no experience on this one way or the other....

OceanBreezes, uggboy, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  3. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling the only way to upgrade to the other hotel was through purchase. But I threw that question out there in case anyone has been granted it.

I am still wondering if the eStandby option prevents status upgrades even when upgrades are still available.

4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with unpaid upgrades at time of check in has been pretty good (NOT electing the eStandby upgrade) with the exception of a few Hiltons that have very high occupancy and end up with no upgrades left to give.

If I am anticipating a late check in I will sometimes call the front desk manager or the customer service director early in the day and request they hold a room upgrade for a loyal diamond member. This usually works.

You should still pay attention to the eStandby upgrades, however, because at some properties the res system will recognize your HH status and allow you to elect an upgrade for $0, thus automatically holding a better room for you.

Then there are a few Hiltons (like the LAX Hilton) that rarely seem to give any real kind of upgrade other than placing you on a club level floor. Rather than pay the the extra money I just avoid these hotels.

5. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great info, Hilslands! You answered several of my questions. I wasn't even aware that there would be the possibility of $0 upgrades. I appreciate your help.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed several properties offering 0.00 e-standby upgrades, just selected one for a corner room @ the Capital Hilton next weekend.

OceanBreezes, Horse and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have never seen FREE eStandby Upgrade options!:(

Horse likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could prevent status upgrades of course, because when a paying guest has chosen an eStandby upgrade I would imagine they take the money, it is revenue nevertheless!;)

Horse likes this.
  9. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would the property do status upgrades after all the eStandby upgrades are done?

BeachMiles and uggboy like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would depend in my view how many eStandby upgrades the hotel has sold with other booking beforehand, I would imagine!:confused:

Horse likes this.
  11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The eupgrades also allow you to upgrade into suites which are technically not available via upgrade

OceanBreezes and Horse like this.