Eskimo to Monopolize SEA-GEG, SEA-BOI

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by RedTape, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    BAH! pressed send before finishing the title, and I can't seem to change it.:mad:

Southwest has announced it is dropping a few routes, and in effect, conceding the markets to Alaska. SEA-BOI and SEA-GEG. They're not long stage markets, but they're solid ones. I was quite surprised at the latter.

They're also dropping SEA-MCI, leaving Frontier the only nonstop in that market. BOI also losing service to RNO and SLC as well.

Downside: Fares will go up in those markets. Not a downside if you're a shareholder, however.

2. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sent an email to a Spokesman Review business writer this morning asking them to follow up with WN re the route drop. No cogent reply from WN was quoted in the newspaper article about the "why", other than economics. Apparently their loads were about 54% on the 737s compared to the high loads on the gas sippin' Q400s.

Online commentators on the Spokesman website were ticked about what they perceive to be impending fare hikes.

The quote from the GEG airport authority? Something along the lines of "being able to drive your car to Seattle will keep the airfares down". Yeah, really?

RedTape likes this.
  3. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Particularly in the November-February timeframe. I suppose they could drive to PSC (it is closer) and catch Allegiant to LAS.

dgreen12 likes this.
  4. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heck, it's snowed in Spokane in June before. I don't think that auto travel will trump air from November through April. :eek:

5. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    A) thanks to the gremlins at milepoint for completing the thread title for me.

My 4 years in Spokaloo had snow as late as march, but never as bad as June. Some days I miss the summer weather from there.

...and I'm supposed to head there in October. I wonder if I should fly one last time before the prices skyrocket.

6. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "Best Fares" seem to jump up about $20 each way in late December to about $83 --- and then stay there beginning in January.

Full fare actually seems to come down about $10 each way from where they are now.

I'm not looking forward to $200 round trips between GEG-SEA on a "best fare" basis. :mad: