Bug Report Errors In MP Mobile Apps

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by ParanoiaTX, Jan 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of this morning my iOS Milepoint app has become completely unusable. Aside from links in posts not working (I realize this is a known issue), the app has been working smoothly before today.
    • Going to subscribed threads results in the dreaded "Parse Error" before even showing a listing.
    • Going to conversations results in the dreaded "Parse Error" before even showing a listing.
    • Reading random threads results in extremely frequent app crashes, usually just by scrolling or changing pages.
    • Manually browsing to a subscribed thread forgets what was read (always shows first post).
    • Ads are appearing under the first and last post of each page in a thread (expect this not to happen for Gold Members).
    I have already repeatedly tried logging out and back in, fully killing the app, rebooting and even un/reinstalling the app. Nothing makes a difference. Since others seem to also be having issues and I haven't changed anything recently, I'm assuming it's not a problem with my device. Since the app hasn't changed, clearly something did server-side.

I realize the app is slated for re-design, but can't we keep the current one at least mostly functioning?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am seeing the same thing.

Betty Boop, blackjack-21 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    This is the issue - the app developer isn't responding and doesn't seem to be fixing anything we inform them of. I'll pass onto Randy to see what he wants to do, but starting from scratch is really the option we're left with.

Use the web skin for now if you can.

Betty Boop likes this.
  4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered switching to Taptalk for mobile app integration? It's frequently updated and a very popular mobile integration.

Betty Boop and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    So there isn't a way to continue development of the web platform, but NOT change the data feed that the app gets?

(I would assume it gets a custom (xml?) data source? Or does it just scrape the web data?)

Betty Boop likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    C'mon MiPo... I haz teh shakes... I need teh App while I'm traveling. ;)

Let's get it fixed? :)

7. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    It's not getting fixed, but a new one is in the works. I'm not so involved, but Randy and Ed know the full situation - since Ed uses the app himself, I'm sure he wants to get a fix just as bad.

I've been using the mobile skin while testing and it hasn't used too much data. There is still the problem with some ads creating an "unsafe scripts" popup, but just ignore that or close it. If you allow it you'll see that ad - if you don't you won't. Either way don't worry about it actually being unsafe.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad that this is the way it's going down. I've been getting the "Parse Error", which I duly hit "Report" on, every time I try to move to a section, and it comes with a black screen. This is on iPhone 5 with latest iOS.

I'm not in the least bit knowledgeable about these things, but is a Parse Error not something easily fixable, and is there no way to get the coding from the programmer so that someone else could fix it? Imagine a whole new app will be some time in the making/testing.

So be it, if that's how it must play out. Shame.

bmg42000 likes this.
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the current MiPo was an outsourced one-time custom job from an integrator. I say one-time because the app has had zero updates in literally years (the Android app was last updated October 6, 2011).

Sounds like they're getting a new integrator?

10. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will this work with P3?

Make sure you consider the future. Wouldn't want the P4 skin to be cut.

11. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fruit-thing person, so I can't speak to the app for that device, but I do heavily depend on an Android device, and the app is completely broken on that device too. Please confirm that a new Android app is under development too?

12. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Android app was working just fine for me (on my berry-thing) until a couple of days ago. Now it crashes every time I try t:( start it.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its hard for me to put into words what this bug means to me - the majority of my MilePoint experience occurs when I have free time during the day, which rarely occurs in-front of my computer. Having the MiPo iOS app report a "Parse Error" when I go to subscribed threads and then shut down completely when I try to post something means that it is absolutely worthless to me at present. Being that the MiPo browser experience is not optimized for mobile Safari, this means that I will rarely be able to view and participate in this community.

I plead with the management and technicians at MilePoint to please fix this error and release a new iOS app immediately. I love MiPo and it has become a big part of my social media experience - this community and my participation within it depends on your prompt attention to this matter.

Trustguy and SpecialK like this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really disappointed that the Android app is dead too. It's bad enough it hadn't been updated since 2011, but at least it was mostly functional until this week. But not having it at all really sucks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we get any more details on the web skin?

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I too really liked the app, asking for something immediately when they have already said some things are out of their control is unfair. They have said they are working on a new app or new app provider and I look forward to it and would happily be a beta tester if asked. But your tone is not helpful IMHO. Just my two cents.

Concerto likes this.
  17. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    Umm...they do need to fix it immediately.

Part of the business model for websites like this are "click counts" that they can show to advertisers to prove how many people visit the website, post in their forums, etc. If I can't clock/post in MiPo, those clicks and posts can't be registered. This directly effects their bottom line, and although I know that they are trying to fix it immediately, I wanted to show how this is effecting me personally.

Don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:

Trustguy likes this.
  18. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shows up automatically in mobile browsers. Looks a lot like the full site. It's pretty, but I find it harder to navigate, slower and more data-intensive than the app.

ACMM likes this.
  19. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you Blake. Much of my daily interaction with certain busy threads is via the app when there are a few mins of downtime somewhere. I find that to be much more cumbersome with the mobile site.

I think the intent was just to let the powers-that-be know that this should be an urgent matter since it could affect the readership of the site.

theblakefish and ACMM like this.
  20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I would have never noticed. Maybe that is a good thing.

Concerto likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure the PTB are well aware :)

Concerto likes this.
  22. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same problem with Safari so I downloaded Mercury Browser Pro for my iPhone 6. Milepoint works very well on it.

Mark, theblakefish and ACMM like this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is actually the solution we're trying to nail down. Hoping to have some updates this week. As Mark mentions, I'm an extremely heavy app user and am shoulder deep in the same frustration as you guys.

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed the mobile web version of the site is suggesting I download the Tapatalk app for MilePoint. I have it and don't see MP listed yet, but hopefully this is a good sign!

25. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Tapatalk should work as of now. This reply is from the app. Still testing some things.

ParanoiaTX likes this.