Error: can't like post (by Z rep)

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I try to like the recent post by KVS Tool (the Z representative) in the Official SMD3 thread in Community Center, I get the following error message in the black and red pop-up box:

"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action"

I checked by clicking on the KVS icon and this username does have some likes recorded and credited, although perhaps the rules have been changed and we're no longer allowed to like posts from Z representatives. I've never noticed this problem before and a search in this forum didn't yield anything.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Can you post a link to the page that the post you tried to like is on? I'm betting that the post author deleted their post before you clicked like on it.

3. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks for trying to Like it :).
    It appears that the 2 posts in question are 'in-transit' -- perhaps to the dedicated KVS Tool forum on MP...

The link for the 2nd reply post was http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/719149/

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I try to click on this link, I get the entire blue error page:

"error--Milepoint

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened? There were several posts between KVS Tool and me that were deleted from the Official SMD3 thread and have not reappeared in either the KVS Z forum or the DL forum. AFAIK the content isn't anywhere on MP and I think the discussion about ALL of the enhanced elite DL inventory classes for domestic coach awards is important. The current KVS post on MP just seems to give a link to the generic listing of all-airline inventory classes covered in KVS.

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    i found them and it does look like they were staged to be moved because member identified them as "off-topic."

Because the dialogue for the answer was relative to the KVS Tool, the posts were moved there and are currenty available for comment and viewing.

lin821 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Looks good to me, but I suspect that this material spent hours in the MP holding pen today.

What's the process that keeps them in limbo for so long? I suspect that this doesn't happen just because someone reports it as off topic. In fact, it looks like whoever did this was able to remove the posts from the original thread (and IIRC change the page that was and still is linked by KVS in the Official SMD3 thread) but could not complete the transfer to another forum (and a new thread).

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Correct. It is not an easy task to remove one or more individual posts from a thread and add them to another thread. It is fairly rare to do and I stepped in to assist the person. So fairly rare that things like this get stuck and as you now know, just gove us a heads up and we'll work to figure things out as best we can.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Before thinking about it, I would have assumed that a click or two could move a post to another thread or another forum, but I guess on moderated forums there's a tendency either to delete or edit posts or to merge or move entire threads. Given this, the functionality to move one or more individual posts easily probably wasn't high priority for software developers. However, I know you did this procedure not long ago when the transborder Global Entry material in the SMD3 thread was moved into the Security area, IIRC into its own new thread. Now this discussion is going to cause me to be more careful or feel more guilty about off topic posts.

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it was just figuring out a method and i certainly was challenged with Global Entry. The key .... exporting the posts and begin a new thread with them and then merge the new thread with an existing thread. Trust me, you don't know how many buttons and other solutions i played with thinking that i could easily export a single to from one thread to another and you are correct, the developers of all these platforms have yet to consider this a priority or even a consideration, but given my workaround, it can be done. Now, if only there was a way to selectively place those posts in a particular order and place in the new thread rather than just chronological by time stamp.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a sneaky and creative solution, but it seems like an obvious fix now that you've mentioned it.

If you can't re-order the posts, it must mean that there's no editing step that admin can do to change the time stamps after something has been posted. I guess a method like duplicating or quoting and artificially adding something and then editing it back to the original by hand (i.e., remove the [q...] and [/q...]) wouldn't do the trick of changing the time (by moving it back to the new current time) either, at least not without altering the identity of the person who posted the passage originally.