Equipment Upgrade on IAH-GIG?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Ygor, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just looking at fares to Brazil, which BTW are awful. Anyhow, the great news is that it seems like IAH-GIG has been changed to a 772. Does anyone know if this is permanent or when did this happen? I wonder where this aircraft came from. And I am soooooo excited because I will now burn a SWU on a 772 instead of a 764.

Judging by the prices of the airfares, I think CO and everyone else flying to Brazil for that matter must be printing money. The Brazilian currency is at a record high against the USD, their economy is kicking butt, and it seems the fares are adjusting accordingly. :( PHL-IAH-GIG had been consistently in the low 900's for a long time. Now there is nothing less than 1300.

2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet it has more to do with fuel prices than the Brazillian economy FWIW

3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the fuel surcharge is around $260.00

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be, but using a 772 with a lot of extra J seats is adding a lot of capacity to this route.
    Also, JJ has 3 newer routes to the US (MIA-CNF, BSB, and GRU-MCO). From talking to relatives in Brazil, I have been hearing how the dolar at 1.5 reais (the lowest in many years) is getting everyone wanting to travel to the US, which is a popular destination to begin with.

How did you figure that out? When I looked, all taxes and fees where about 130, making a fuel dump impossible. Can you point it out how you see that number? Thanks!

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:

6. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a handful of days in May or June IIRC that CO was using a 772; I've checked much May and July and it's still saying 764.

7. rkkwan

rkkwan Silver Member

Status Points:
    With JJ as a partner, UA/CO doesn't seem that keen in drastically increasing capacity. There are 28 new US-Brazil frequencies up for application now, and while DL and AA are both applying, UA/CO hasn't. In fact, there are more new slots available than applied.

lin821 likes this.
  8. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did not know this. Thanks for the info.
    That sucks. Deep South America has always been a underserved destination, and one has almost always to connect at GRU or GIG to go anywhere else in Brazil.
    And flights within Brazil are very expensive, although this has been getting better.

9. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the discussion of why to not apply for slots.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there are more available than applications and the company doesn't have the equipment or see the demand to serve the routes then why should they apply? Setting up a station to run a 1x daily route which will require a larger aircraft and not necessarily see returns on that seems like a good way to lose money. If they free up an airframe or see demand increase they can apply later and almost certainly get one of the available slots.

Demand may be growing but probably not enough to start throwing 767s at smaller airports in Brazil.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another factor is that optimal US to deep South America flight times are redeyes in both directions, which require an extended (12-16h) ground sit at the destination. Daytime flights, while better from a utilization standpoint, are generally poor performers. The schedule thus requires two aircraft to operate daily service, and airplanes can't make money sitting on the ground.

12. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both good points. DL and AA have the advantage of having hubs (ATL and MIA) within range for a 752, although I don't think AA runs any 752 to Brazil, DL does (to BSB and MAO) and used to run 752s to FOR with a milk run to REC.

Anyone know if IAD could support 752s to Brazil? Or is that too far? I am thinking possible routes could be to CNF, BSB, or MAO.

13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BSB and CNF are viable secondary Brazilian cities, but probably not from IAD. Both are out of CO's 752 range. CO tried CNF as a tag-on from GIG but canceled the route after 9/11. DL bagged MAO a while ago because of absolutely dreadful loads and it's safe to say UA won't be there any time soon.

I suspect UA is presently satisfied to send traffic to secondary Brazil cities on its nonstop flights to GRU and GIG, connecting to TAM domestic flights.