Equipment Downgrade on YYZ-EWR

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    A month or so ago, many of the YYZ-EWR flights had E75/90 replaced by smaller CRJ700. No huge deal, except smaller overhead bins that don't take larger sized (but legal) carry on suitcases.

This morning I arrived at T1 to hear my seat had been changed from J class to Y. The reason - equipment change to a turboprop.

Combined with less frequent service, and closing of the EWR lounge, service is really being degraded on this route.

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Turboprop now! I've mostly still been getting E75s on YYZ-EWR, though last time was a CRA. Hadn't spotted a turboprop before, and the normal schedule still doesn't show one (the return flight from EWR still shows CRA) -- maybe they had a problem with the scheduled aircraft and the Q400 was the best thing available.

Looking to next Monday, they have E75 at 6:30, CRA at 8:40 and 12:20, E90 at 16:50, and E75 again at 18:45 and 21:00. They are definitely playing around with capacities to optimize load factors.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has flown Q400s on that route for a while in addition to other aircraft. This is nothing new. Q400s do have first class on them.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite true. For me, the Q400s and avoiding the craziness that is EWR Terminal C are the key reasons why I choose AC for my YYZ-EWR commute.

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is why I always tried to make my schedule align to Air Canada's. I prefer the small jets to the Q400, and absolutely loathe arriving/departing the "F" gates in Toronto.

This morning was a 100% Y class Q400, departing from gate F92. F92 was as I remember it....as far away as you can get from security and still remain in Terminal 1, packed with a standing room only crowd, and reminiscent of the old "Terminal 1" in amenities (try a couple 100 yard walk to find a restroom!).

Since I checked in the day before on an RJ with an executive class ticket, I'll assume it was an equipment problem this morning and not an on-going change for this route. It was slow boarding this morning because they had to reissue so many boarding passes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Flyer1976, mht_flyer and tomh009 like this.
  6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    On UA not on AC though.

tomh009 and mht_flyer like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definately find the UA Q400's more comfortable then the E145's that UA now shows for all their YYZ-EWR flights next year. Time wise only a few minutes slower on the Q's, and their advantage is they usually use T-C at EWR while the -145's land at T-A, necessitating the bus to T-C if connecting to another flight. And after a 3 hour 55 minute (scheduled, but beat that time by a few minutes) flight YYZ-IAH on an E145 a few years ago, my backside won't let me fly on a E145 flight of more then two hours. That following a comfortable B737-500 flight of three hours from IAH-YYZ a year earlier.

Agreed that the F gates in terminal one are reminicent of the ancient hangers at LAS, but with a much further walk for exercise both before and after the flights. And no fun climbing the steps into a Q400 on a cold winter morning with an icy tarmac walk to the aircraft.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR Terminal C is good if you are making a connection. If you're actually going to NJ, though, Terminal A is a much more relaxed experience.

9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    you mean people actually go to New Jersey. :p

JetsettingEric likes this.
  10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it is the Garden State, after all! :rolleyes:

Actually, Northern NJ is not so bad, once you get away from Newark and the Turnpike. Not at the top of my list of places to live, but there are far worse places in the US.

11. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    The photo in my avatar is from New Jersey!

12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:

13. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cape May is a very pretty place to visit. Used to fly to PHL and drive out there all the time to visit a buddy who has now retired and lives in Las Vegas.

14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except you may have to drive through Atlantic City which was dumpy last time we passed through years ago. Only time I went to Cape May was when I drove there to visit my brother who was in training at the Coast Guard station at Cape May.

15. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had to drive through Atlantic City at all. I usually took the route through Vineland. My buddy was a ground-based fireman at the Base.

16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    some of the best view of NYC are from Jersey City

YULtide likes this.
  17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pier by the Hyatt and the PATH station are quite memorable.

Blame UA for shutting the lounge down, but it was theirs and no longer of use when they moved flights to the other two piers. AC could pay for an extension of the shuttle to pier 2 and the UA Club there if it really cared about its customers at EWR, but LGA is the priority and there the real competition is. AA flies CR7s with 9 F seats...haven't sat in coach to NYC since moving over (all comp'd). M60 bus into Manhattan is cheap and fast.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one that I'll always remember is the view from eastbound Rt 3 in the late morning on 2001-09-11 ...

YULtide likes this.
  19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    A day I shan't forget either. One could see the smoke from the Bridges crossing into Manhattan coming back home after being on the NJ/northNYS side.

I have had the 'fortune' to be on the JC pier for the last two 9-11s and its been inspiring to see the new WTC progress.

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  20. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first trip from YYZ-EWR was a few years after 9/11. Flew down on an afternoon flight on the E145, and after crossing Lake Ontario we flew SE and followed the Hudson River valley all the way down to the EWR approach. As we got closer to Manhatten I started looking for familiar landmarks, and spotted the Empire State Building and others I recognized on the way down to the tip of Manhatten, where I saw the gaping hole in the skyline that was once the WTC. Not ashamed to admit that I choked up a bit at that time, as I'd often walked past those towers on my way to work a few blocks away and again on my way home, and had watched the towers rise from a massive hole in the ground to the wonderful structures that they were, in addtion to being in them several times. Then when we moved to Jersey I took the PATH trains on my daily commute from S. Jersey to work, exiting at the WTC stop. That was long before 9/11, and I often wonder if some of the people who I used to work with in the area were in those towers on that fateful day. I'll never know, but.....

Sorry to get maudlin, but the 9/11 mention brought back painful memories.

21. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    .....and the Freedom Tower rises in its place....the photo is from my balcony in the W Hoboken. Excellent views of both downtown and mid-town.

....now more on topic...I've preferred EWR over the years because of the option of the NJ Transit link downtown (twelve fifty and faster than a taxi). LGA to Manhattan is normally quick in a cab, except when it isn't which is unpredictable. I've also had work in NJ (Jersey City and surrounds) over the past couple of years so it makes sense.

I'm going to try a few LGA runs heading to year end to see if the 1) more frequent schedule, 2) generally larger aircraft, 3) MLL make enough of a difference.

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  22. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Terminal A is a dump. I recently connected to UA off AC flight at terminal C and found the latter so much nicer than the former

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly you are correct that Terminal A is not exactly an uplifting environment -- I think EWR spends all their reno funds on Terminal C, A is the ugly step-child.

But it does not make Terminal C any less of a zoo!

YULtide likes this.
  24. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....so this morning, AC was back to a CRJ-705....I guess the Q400 was a one-off due to an equipment problem.

Terminal C is quite nice....it has a Gallagher's Steak House I've killed some hours in when I've had a UA flight cancelled (more civilized than the RCC).

25. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA flights in 2014 (looking at March-May) all show only the E145 with no Q400's on the YYZ-EWR leg. So that's a T-A to T-C bus connection for all if making a mainline flight, versus the easy T-C arrivals for the Q400.