Equipment change on Award (3 class to 2 class)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CDKing, Dec 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked on UA Saver award on TG BKK-BRU in J. They are currently using the leased Jet Airways 777-300ER with F seats. Their plans is to change to their own brand new 777-300ER where J is the highest cabin. There is no definitive date for the equipment change.

Saver F is available so i'm thinking about paying the extra 10K miles. What happens if the swap occurs prior to my flight? Do i get downgraded back to J where I request a refund of the miles difference? What if J saver award space is no longer available, do i get put in coach?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd struggle to see them putting you in Y if there are any J seats open (even if no business award seats are available).

As to getting a partial miles refund, first, a question to you...is that the only F segment for this leg of the journey?

CDKing likes this.
  3. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, That's the only segment that has a F cabin.

NYBanker likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would get a refund in the mileage difference then.

I think therefore I Poast!

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    D'accord.

If you had multiple F segments in that part of the journey, you'd not get a refund.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely get the points back if you no longer have any F segments. The harder part of the query is what they'll do about the reservation when that happens. While most likely you'll be offered a downgrade to business the part where it is an award on partner metal makes that less certain.

CDKing and Flyer1976 like this.