Equipment change downgrade saga

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, May 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    So tomorrow I'm flying YYZ-ZRH in the midst of a YEG-YYZ-ZRH-DAR itinerary. I was booked in Premium Economy on a 787, and very much looking forward to the experience. It seems that AC has changed equipment to a 767 so of course there is no Y+. I happened upon this by chance. Called the reservation line and got an agent who explained that I would now be in Y. I asked about being seated up front and was informed that wasn't possible, but they did offer to change the booking to Flex and refund the difference. OK, so how much would the refund be? After 15 minutes, I was told there would be no refund because I had got the original ticket for a better price than Flex was now (of course, there was only Latitude showing available). But, no worries, said the agent, with the Flex fare, I would get 100% mileage. Great, I said, with the original booking I was a eligible for 125%. Oops. Change had already been made! After a bit of back and forth, I was booked in Latitude, which gives 125% mileage and the chance for a no-add-on upgrade. Bottom line after an hour on the phone, I am now booked in Y and waitlisted for an upgrade.

Question is, what would have happened if I had simply shown up at the airport tomorrow to discover that I had been downgraded?

The Lev likes this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often find that I am educating the agent when I call in which is very seldom. There is only one seat left in J on that flight and it is now showing as 763 metal on KVS. One should also note that all airlines are experiencing some issues with dreamliners and flights are being affected on many airlines.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's an old trick that may have been useful -- when you have an agent that isn't helpful, say you have to take another call and then call back and get a different one.

In may not have worked in this case, but then again

DTWBOB

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the end, I got my TATL upgrade, so I guess all's well that end well.

tomh009, londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, then! I wish that there were a button which would allow me to double-like a posting. That's fairly impressive that you obtained your upgrade. Did it take any concerted negotiation on your part?

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    No negotiation in particular, after the hour it took to get the fare put to Latitude. With that in place, I got wait listed, and then as I was approaching the gate for boarding heard my name called. The gate agent simply said that she was making sure I had the right seat number after the equipment change and handed over a J boarding pass. No need to ask on my part. The question in my mind is whether that would have happened without me intervening to request the upgrade (and use the 7 upgrade certs). Still, a nice experience overall.

Now to rebook my return flight. The coup in Burundi has caused us to need to change plans.

londoncalling likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Return flight rebooked and AC kindly waived the change fee due to the coup.

All will be well. Kudos to AC reservations staff who helped get through this.

8. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes it takes patience and polite behaviour with airline staff and, if logical, can be done even if its outside their rules. Congrats

YULtide likes this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely. Always remember you're dealing with a human being.