EQM and RDM for direct flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John777, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming direct flight from DCA-SAN, connecting in DFW with same flight number. As I only had to request an upgrade once (not broken out by the two flights), this got me curious: do these get credited as two flights or just as DCA-SAN?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's credited as a single flight, sadly.

3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already flew this route, it's credit as one flight, and the Stickers are debit for the whole leg!

4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's too bad. Can they split them out in the reservation? I was looking at booking a direct TPA-BWI (via MIA), and it seems that'd be the difference between 1446 EQM and 842 EQM.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're booking it on line, what happens if yoou do multicity? Otherwise the only alternative is to avoid booking at least one of the segments by either giving yourself a long connecting time, alternative schedule, or alternative routing.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sine people report success in having AA split these flights into two segments, though it's not an obligation for them to allow you to do this. Haven't heard of anyone who was able to do it AFTER a flight though, only prior.

John777 likes this.
  7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an update, I called the PLT line and customer service several times about this, and they said the only way to break up the flights is to reissue the ticket. Unfortunately, this would involve the $150 change fee and difference in fare.

I was told that customer service could potentially change the EQM/RDM credits after the flight posts, but I don't hold much hope on that. At the end of the day it's only ~600 EQMs, but every little bit helps...

Another interesting thing that I have yet to come across: the upgrade will only clear if both legs are available. So, if TPA-MIA is not available but MIA-BWI is available, neither leg will clear.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising, as I mentioned others have said they were successful but others also were not. I avoid direct flights at all costs.

9. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't make that mistake again!